Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Gearing change, what method?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009 | 09:08 AM
rmc115
|
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Gearing change, what method?

I want to change the gearing on my 07 ultra just a few hundred rpm higher. What the pros and cons of the 49t evo industries clutch basket gear or a 68 tooth rear gear. I do not want to change the belt and front pulley. Mike

Old 02-05-2009 | 01:47 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I haven't done it yet but I'm real close. I think the 49T Evo option is the best choice.
I believe you'd have to change belts if you go to 68 tooth rear.
The only negative I see is losing the 6th gear indicator light but that's not big deal.

Old 02-05-2009 | 01:56 PM
rmc115
|
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Did a search on the pulley deal and there are posts about not having to change belts. I do not want to change belt. Mike

Old 02-16-2009 | 10:05 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C.C.

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I haven't done it yet but I'm real close. I think the 49T Evo option is the best choice.
The only negative I see is losing the 6th gear indicator light but that's not big deal.
I would do the 49T but you loose Cruise Control.TTS/mastertune is suppose to be getting close to making the primary gear change in working order & not loose 6th gear lite/CC.To be continued...................Regards,Tom

Old 02-17-2009 | 07:04 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMCENTRAL
I would do the 49T but you loose Cruise Control.TTS/mastertune is suppose to be getting close to making the primary gear change in working order & not loose 6th gear lite/CC.To be continued...................Regards,Tom
On an 07 you don't lose CC. Have heard you do and heard you don't on 08s.

Old 02-22-2009 | 01:43 PM
drhooligan
Tourer

Originally Posted by nvsteve
How difficult is the Evo 49T clutch gear install. I heard that there are rivets that need to be drilled out and replaced with screws. I'm guessing that the drilling should be done on a drill press. Has anyone installed this piece. This gear is supposed to change gearing on an '07 from 2.79 to 2.97.

Old 02-22-2009 | 05:18 PM
crewchief25
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 23 Posts

I installed one, buy the drill bit they sell. You'll need to drill your clutch basket and counter sink the bolts used to bolt the the new gear on. I used a drill press. Drilling the rivets isn't as hard as you think. They drilled easyer than I expected.

Your rpm in 6th gear will jump 200 rpm, and your 6th gear light will not work.

My 08 SG outrun the 07 SG we put the gear on, and it still outruns it the same amount. I'm not doing mine!!!

Old 02-22-2009 | 07:06 PM
Foley Fats
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

What do you think of the Baker Transmission pulley change to either 30 tooth or 31 tooth. From my reading, you don't have to change the belt on the 31 tooth. Could synchronize the speedo if you use TTS Mastertune.

Old 02-22-2009 | 08:00 PM
drhooligan
Tourer

That 31T transmission sprocket is another possibility. Unfortunately that sprocket is a PIA to get at. Too bad it is not like a V-Rod, pull a cover and there it is. Had an 04 V-Rod, went from a 28T to a 26T and it was a different animal.

Old 02-22-2009 | 09:16 PM
rock92
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

completely contradictory to what the intent of the original post was looking for, so i apologize now for side tracking the thread. i dropped the scoot off yesterday to change the tranny out sprocket/front pulley to the 30t. i will agree that its the biggest pia to get to, does require a different belt, and will screw with the speedo. but as drhooligan pointed out, i think it will ride a bit better to put it mildly. the pain in doing it isn't much skin off me because i was saving up parts to redo that whole area any way (se comp, chrome inner, vpc) and the shop is doing it. so with all the overlapping component swaps, the labor cost is minimized.

Quick Reply: Gearing change, what method?