Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 11:13 AM
rgsamsel
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem

Hi guys

I have a tech question if anyone ever adjusted a clutch? I adjusted the clutch on my ride 02 night train because well i just did. Qustion is when you hold the clutch in and push the bike while in gear it won't fee wheel
unless you push real hard I dont remember it being that way befor. I'm sure I held the cluch in and was able to start it, now it wants to jump forward. This is what I did. Adjusted primary chain to 5/8 free play. changed primary case oil using screaming eagle 20w50. I followed step by step many times the clutch adjustment from the HD service manual. I can see the clutch plates pull away from the pressure plate when I pull the clutch lever in . If anyone could help me out here, I would greatly appreciate it.
I guess I don't understand the mechanics of how the wet clutch works on a harley. I been in the automotive field for many years and have rebuilt engines and replaced many clutches in my time. I know my age is catching up with me and at times I cant remember yesterday

Bob

Old 04-14-2006, 09:33 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 477 Posts
Default RE: Clutch problem

There's a pretty good clutch how-to down in the DIY section. Might try lookin' at it.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
softail4ever
Advanced

First of all there should be about a nickels width of play at the clutch lever. If this is the case then it sounds like you have backed the adjuster out to far. In doing so you have removed to much of the clutch levers throw and the clutch plates are still dragging when you pull the lever in. Try loosening the locking nut and just turn the adjuster in until you feel it touch. Then back off 1/2 turn. Be sure the adjuster does not turn when you lock down the locking nut and the adjustment should dead on. If you don't back off at least a 1/2 turn then as the trans and shift (push) rod heats up and expands it will bind and weld itself together. Hope this helps

Old 04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
95BadBoy
Cruiser

I would take the engine oil out and put in H-D primary oil.
Clutch plates sticking togeather 20-50 is thick when cold.
Also don't over fill.