Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

98FXDL Primary Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
SBM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98FXDL Primary Questions

this is strange. I bought this bike with near 70K on the clock, got it running and the primary chain was rattling in the case. tore it down, chain was stretched to the max along with the adjuster worn out. replaced these items, new gaskets, put new oil in the primary. 100 miles down the road, chain starts making noise, oil on the drive belt and rear wheel, (it was oil soaked when I bought it also but primary drain was loose and I thought this was the source of the oil spray) no oil in the primary. Guessing (from reading forums threads) the trans output shaft seal is toast. Question is, I've heard of blocking engine oil/primary oiling with plugs and running seperate oil in just the primary. How do i do this? Thanks!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You already have separate oil for the primary. Can't remember when they changed to sealed primary, but it was many years before they made your '98. Primary leaks can be a huge problem. Hopefully, if you take off the entire primary case, inner and outer covers, and replace all the seals and gaskets you can solve your problem. I would use the best seals and gaskets that Cometic makes.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 AM
SBM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tried That

Hey MP, thanks for the reply. I took off the inner and outer twice, new gaskets, refilled the primary. What I found was that within 50 miles of primary refill, it was empty, and my tank registered overfill, from the primary I assume. Did that same thing both times.