Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

loose transmission sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 11:55 AM
BOP21CG
|
Novice
Default loose transmission sprocket

I noticed a wierd sound coming from there when in nuetral and thought the belt was to tight. i loosed the belt but the noise contiued but not as bad. I took off the inner primary and i could wiggle the sprocket. I think this might be my problem.
The sprocket nut is tight. I have brocken 2 craftsman flex handle wrenches trying to get it off. Any tips on getting this nut off.
2003 Road king

Old 11-23-2008 | 02:49 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Assume you're aware that nut has left-hand threads and a lockring secured by two bolts to keep it from moving on its own?

Old 12-26-2008 | 08:25 AM
BOP21CG
|
Novice

Yes I am aware. I finally got it with an Impact wrenchand heat. When I took the transmission sprocket off I did not see the spacer behind it as the manual shows. Could the spacer and quad seal have worked its way past the main shaft Oil Seal? I have it back together and the noise is still there. While in nuetral it sounds something rubbing. I used a mechanics stethascope and I hear it coming through the transmission sprocket.

Old 12-28-2008 | 02:56 PM
Z
Road Warrior

The quad seal fits behind the main shaft seal, and the spacer slides into the seal and abbutts the quad seal. The seal actually rides on the spacer.

If you can wiggle that sprocket then you have a problem. It's not a press fit, but the splined interface is strong enough to prevent any meaningful wiggle, especially once the locknut is tightened. Most likely, your trans sprocket is shot and will spin on you very soon. The main drive gear that it splines onto is harder and is less likely to wear, but the longer you run that trashed sprocket the more wear you'll create on the main drive gear and the more likely you'll need to replace it which requires a complete transmission tear-down.

Last edited by Z; 12-28-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2008 | 02:32 PM
BOP21CG
|
Novice

thanks, I just dont understand why it makes the noise when it's in neutral, nothing is spinning except the chain drive. could it be a bad clutch hub bearing?

Old 12-29-2008 | 04:52 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Don't forget the transmission mainshaft is always spinning, even when in neutral.

I'd start with the simplest task first: Drain the trans lubricant and look for unexpected particles in it that might suggest transmission damage.

Then I'd pull and inspect your clutch assembly, as you suggested.

Next I'd look at the inner primary mainshaft bearing and the race it rides on, which is press-fit onto the mainshaft.

Old 12-29-2008 | 10:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

When you get to the mainshaft bearing be sure to inspect the shaft for any damage and the bearing inner and outer races or any heat marks on the rollers (which would indicate lubrication starvation)then check the shaft itself for any runout. The inner primary bearing is very succeptable to any misalignment in the shaft or cases.

My first guess is your sprocket is toast. But if running with a bad sprocket for long time has caused you to exceed the thrust load capacity of the IPB then the bearing could be toasted as well. My first impulse would be to probably replace the IPB & all the seals if I was already in there anyway. Be sure to note the correct assembly procedure on the IPB in your service manual. AND use a quality assembly fluid to coat the bearing well.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 12-29-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-31-2008 | 06:17 AM
BOP21CG
|
Novice

Thanks for your help. I've been trying to figure this out for Months. I'm stationed on Camp Lejuene and it stays pretty busy here. I'm going to tear into it again this weekend.

Old 01-05-2009 | 05:12 PM
BOP21CG
|
Novice

I have ordered a new Transmission sprocket and Inner primary bearing. Any tips on installing the inner primary bearing?
Thanks

Old 01-05-2009 | 05:41 PM
Z
Road Warrior

If you have an arbor press or some other means of making reasonably sure that bearing gets pressed squarely into the inner primary, you can R&R it yourself. I suspect the base auto repair shop has a press. If not, I suggest you take it (the primary assembly & new bearing and seal) to a local shop and pay them the very small fee they should charge to press out the old bearing and press in the new.

before pulling the old bearing, look at it to note proper orientation. One side has lettering. Install the new bearing with the lettering facing the same direction. Also note the orientation of the seal before removing it. You'll want to install the new one the same way, of course.

You might find some of the pictures in the below post helpful, especially the ones that depict the inner primary mainshaft bearing oil seal protruding from the back of the inner primary by about 0.04" (yes, it's okay.) Also, don't put any sealant on that seal. Sealant can cause the seal to sort of... ooze back out once you press it in.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/prima...ary-drive.html

Oh, be SURE to check the condition of the main drive gear before installing the new trans sprocket. If that gear is showing signs of wear, you're asking for trouble if you don't replace it as the resulting loose fit will cause your new trans sprocket to fail prematurely. Some mechanics won't even consider replacing a stripped (or nearly so) trans sprocket without also replacing the main drive gear. It's a PITA and it's a constly undertaking, but it beats having to do the job again.

Last edited by Z; 01-05-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: loose transmission sprocket