Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Like or dislike DD6

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Teflon Tom
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Like or dislike DD6

Just need some feed back on Baker's DD6, such as a cost to benefit ratio or in layman's terms is it worth the coin for what you recieve in performance. Any warrenty issues etc...

Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Teflon Tom
Just need some feed back on Baker's DD6, such as a cost to benefit ratio or in layman's terms is it worth the coin for what you recieve in performance. Any warrenty issues etc...
Is it worth over $2,000.00? How many miles would you have to ride at a lower MPG to make up for the cost of item and install? That would be an interesting math question.

Performance? It works great. Performance of bike? Does not make it go faster/quicker. It lowers RPMs in 6th gear. And supposedly gets better MPG because of lower RPM and with the DD6, 6th gear is direct = less friction, less drag, however you want to quantify.

Have one. Like it. Worth it? Don't know.

Warranty? Don't know, have had it for over a year. Trip from CA to AL, and CA to SD, no problem.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:28 PM
02flh
Cruiser

I am doing some Torque improvment work to my engine this winter and will most likly change the front drive belt gear (one tooth bigger) so the the cruise is even more perfect. , I thought about the DD6 but don't see the need for it in my case. I love my 02flh and like the mileage and the sound and the look and true tracking and JM speakers and the cruise control and the storage and the big jugs and sorry I am getting carried away. Don over and out.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i would fight a bear to keep my DD6..... it ROCKS ....i use the 28 tooth engine sprocket and a 37 tooth Baker King Kong Klutch

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Puzzled
Banned

DD6 owner here, not a single complaint. Worth it? Depends on what you say is worth. For me having an 01 bike with the low gearing it was worth not listening to my bike scream on the highway. The shifts are smooth and the trans is quiet.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Same here. No complaints. Have installed a bunch on customers bikes and i always get happy phone calls after they get home. Only complaint is the primary chain needs adjsuting more frequently until about 5-7k on it. Other than that, wish they were about 500.00 cheaper...hahahah

Old 11-17-2008, 07:49 AM
Bill-FXDF
Advanced

The DD6 sounds good but what do you think about the New DD7 ?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill-FXDF
The DD6 sounds good but what do you think about the New DD7 ?
dd7 will only work in the newer scoots 07 and up....

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 PM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hotpursuit
dd7 will only work in the newer scoots 07 and up....
and man, thats gotta be a lot of shifting....

Old 11-23-2008, 05:44 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BAGGERDSM
and man, thats gotta be a lot of shifting....
Yeah, but not a lot more...just one more, bartender....just one more!!!!

The Baker DD7 is being developed as a direct replacement of the Cruise Drive Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed to improve it in many ways. 1- Factory 1st gear ratio is too tall (numerically too small). The DD7 has a shorter (numerically larger) 1st gear for easier launches. 2- Shift clunk. In transmission design, be it automotive or motorcycle, low mainshaft weight is always desirable for smooth and quiet shifts. Audible shift clunk in the factory 6-speed is caused by the heavy weight and resultant high inertia of the 1-piece forged mainshaft. That mainshaft is a one-piece design that includes1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears. The DD7 mainshaft is light weight and only includes the small 1st gear as an integral part. 3- Shift smoothness. Shift smoothness in the factory 6-speed is a definite improvement over the 5-speed. The DD7 is a big improvement over the factory 6-speed because it incorporates a new linear roller ball detent as part of the supplied Billet Top Cover. This linear roller ball detent is similar to the type first used in Baker TorqueBox transmissions. 4- Gear noise. The factory 6-speed has straight cut 1st and 5th gears. This yields gear noise in 1st and 5th.The Baker DD7 has a full set of helical gears for quiet operation in every gear.

The Harley-Davidson factory 6-speed ratios are: 1st (3.34), 2nd (2.30), 3rd (1.71), 4th (1.41), 5th (1.18), 6th (1.00). The Baker DD7 transmission will have the following ratios : 1st (3.76), 2nd (2.75), 3rd (2.06), 4th (1.55), 5th (1.27), 6th (1.10), 7th (1.00).

In this new Baker DD7, Shift Drum is designed to help the rider find Neutral every time, like with all other Baker Transmissions. Testers tell me that the bike felt like motor work has been done to it and that it shifts like a dream. Baker Drivetrain.
http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2008/03...-transmission/

I want one!!! Even if ALL we get is typical Baker reliability (read--bullitt proof!) and the better 1st gear ratio, I'm in. Stock 1st does suck! The improved "everything else" is just a bonus.

Quick Reply: Like or dislike DD6