Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Quart over full in primary

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:51 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Quart over full in primary

I have 2000 RG and I just finished 1800 mile ride. The primary oil came flowing out the inspection cover when I checked it There was some racket on that side also the tranismisson breather was blowing oil big trouble here that seems strange . I lost a oil pump during the trip the dealer fixed it and added syn 3 oil I m woundering if that could be the trouble since i never used syn oil.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:49 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you have the bike on the kickstand or standing up strait? The trans and primary are completely seperate and, of course, so is the engine. The engine oil pump failed?

Old 10-18-2008, 01:57 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
The engine oil pump failed?

That's the only oil pump that I know of. Is there another?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:35 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Nope, that's the only one. The whole thing sounds wacky. If the engine oil pump failed, I would think he would not have to just change the pump...I would think the whole engine would be trashed. All three oils are seperate. If my memory serves me correctly, you check both the trans and primary with the bike upright. You check engine oil on the jiffy stand. A quart over filled on either the primary or trans would put the level at more than double what they should be.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Dustball
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Syn 3, while not my own personal choice, certainly wouldn't cause what you've described. You say you lost an oil pump during the trip and had it repaired/replaced at a dealer. My bet is some numb-nuts over serviced all your fluids -- and when they get hot the excess *will* come out!

Personally, given an oil pump failure and questionable servicing, I think I'd just start over. Drain all the fluids and change that oil filter. Then refill 3.5 qts in the engine, 1 qt in the tranny and 1 qt in the primary. Test ride and check before adding that last .5 qts to the engine.

*You say you got a some "racket" now? Some people claim their bikes make more noise when they swapped dino for synthetic.

Last edited by Dustball; 10-18-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

hmmm... a bad left-side crank seal could cause motor oil to leak into the primary, could it not? I don't think it's possible to accidentally overfill the primary by that much. My money's on the crank seal.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 AM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your right the primary case will only take 1 qt of oil. The crank seal is my guess. I know harleys are the toughest bikes in the world . I had s@s reed valve oiler installed with the 510 cams and gears few years back that took out the came plate that caused the failure. The dealer in San Antoino was good had it out in a day I was on the road and need to get home.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

I have never put an entire quart in a primary or a trans. If you did, you overfilled them. You may correct me if I am wrong, but that is my experience. My experience is limited to Softails.

I'll correct myself, my new one calls for 32 oz (1 quart),but I guess because you never get it all out, you can't put that much back in.

Last edited by mopardave; 10-18-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 PM
papaseven
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Easy enough.

Personally I do a couple a week and the baggers get 1 qt in the primary and 20-24 ounces in the tranny. I know guys that put a full qt in the trans but if they ever get on a long hard pull it's probbaly gonna get slippery behind em.

If it was me I'd drain everything and refill to the add marks on the trans and engine.
Ride it for at least 6-8 miles and then bring levels JUST to the full mark.

Check oil on the side stand.
Check trans and primary with the bike straight up and level.
Primary oil should come close to but not touch the bellevile spring in the clutch basket.
30 ounces is always a safe bet in the primary.

Hopefully it was just an overzealous lube tech. Probably uses the same technique on torque specs:
"Tighten it till it breaks off and then back er off half a turn."

Geno

Old 10-19-2008, 06:23 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by papaseven
Probably uses the same technique on torque specs:
"Tighten it till it breaks off and then back er off half a turn."

Geno
LMFAO....that's Rossmeyer's mechs.....that is if they remember to tighten