Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission or clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008 | 12:32 PM
Chuck_1550
|
6th Gear
Default Transmission or clutch problem

My 2004 HD Softail Standard started displaying symptoms of the clutch slipping. I adjusted the clutch according to the service manual and a new symptom occurred. The bike would not accelerate in any gear. With the clutch lever all the way out, and the clutch engaged the bike just sits at idle and even with the throttle rolled on. I can actually turn off the engine, place the transmission in gear, let the clutch lever all the way out, and roll the bike around as if it were in neutral. I replaced the clutch pack and the problem remains. I can see the clutch moving in and out, with the derby cover off and when I pull and release the clutch lever.

Any ideas on the next logical troubleshooting step? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2008 | 07:17 PM
Z
Road Warrior

I assume the primary chain is spinning the clutch basket. Any unusual sounds? Grinding of any sort? How but shifter operation? Can you shift through the gears with the same feel you had prior to this problem starting?

Old 10-10-2008 | 10:33 PM
dcfatboy
Tourer
Default Speedo

In addition to Z's questions, does the speedo do anything with the clutch lever all the way out? Any leaking transmission fluid?

Old 10-11-2008 | 06:12 AM
Chuck_1550
|
6th Gear

You know, I do recall hearing a strange noise while idling at a red light recently, but it did not sound like a grind but more like a series of pops. I did not notice any performance issues at that time.
When I replaced the clutch pack, I did not notice any problems with the primary chain or sprockets. I assume everything is spinning when the engine is running.
No difference in shifting operations.
Speedo indications appear normal.
No leaking fluid anywhere.
I drained the transmission fluid last night and it appeared cloudy, but no chips on the drain plug or in the fluid that I could find. I removed the side cover from the xmsn and everything looks fine in there too. I have to buy a new pair of snap-ring pliers this morning, and then I'm going to disassemble the ball and ramp assembly just to look around in there.
While the bike was up on the jack, I could see the drive belt pulley behind the primary case so while I turned the rear wheel, I could see that and all of the teeth appear to remain intact on the pulley. The belt is fine and the tension is good, too.
Any ideas on the possibillity of problems with the shifter assembly under the top cover?

Old 10-11-2008 | 05:29 PM
Chuck_1550
|
6th Gear

Fixed it! It came down to an issue with the adjustment, after I replaced the clutch pack.