Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

New Vibrations after Belt Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 02:18 PM
scotsport
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile New Vibrations after Belt Change

400 miles ago I had a belt change done under waranty. Today, I started to feel some deep vibrations that sound like they are coming from the primary (front?).

After almost 10K, I know that this is not normal and something is loose or otherwise not right!

I'll be going back to the dealer (good guys) but would like to help them pin it down with minimum fuss. So....

1) Pre belt change under waranty - smooth as butter

2) 400 miles after the belt change I'm starting to feel some deep down vibrations in my stomach and teeth. This is new.

3) Especially bad on deceleration and acceleration at light / medium throttle.

4) Clutch in while on the move, it goes away.

5) It can be induced while stationary by light throttle in neutral.

6) Lots of new chain noise from the primary - not clanking but more like a whirring washing mahine.

This is all new and not normal.

My initial thoughts are comp. nut loose or problem with chain tensioner - hell anyone can foget the loctite!

Not into the blame game, I just want to back to the (good) dealer with helpful comments rather than just bitchin.

Want to enjoy my ride again as soon as possible friends.

Comments appreciated............

Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would help to know if it's softail or rubber mounted. If you can induce it in nuetral, not likely the comp. Rubber mounted could be the mounts or shifted flywheel . Softail, likely shifted flywheel. If there is enough runout on the sprocket, the adjuster, if the new auto tensioner will set to the loosest spot making it too tight in other areas making the whirr sounds and lots of chain noise.
Keep in mind this is the worst case senerio that you may have. Could also be something stupid like a weak cylinder or tuning causing it. Just got off work and havn't mellowed out yet
Ron

Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 AM
pistole
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

- drive belt too tight / too loose ?

- primary chain too tight / too loose ?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 AM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

you didn't state what year your bike is, but i'm going to assume that it is pre-06-07 and doesn't have a automatic primary chain adjuster. check it....

Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 AM
rmc115
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

primary chain is too tight.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
scotsport
Advanced

Thanks for the comments chaps

Its an 07 Street Bob (auto tentioner). Riding more today and it comes in strong on a light load at low / medium revs or on decel. Back of slighty at 30 in 3rd the vibration comes in hard, same at 2nd at 20, or 4th at 40.

I can induce it at idle by rising the revs slowly. Its hits a resonance point and vibrates badly. Also if I blip the throttle and let it come back to idle. it goes through one point where it vibrates bad. This also induces the whirring noise in the primary.

Comments seem to lead to the tensioner being to tight. Are they know to be faulty and would replacing the tensioner help?

Got it booked in at the dealer next week and again I want to go as informed as I can be.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 06:50 AM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Suresounds chain related to me, especially since you mentioned the resonance issue. I'm suspecting the auto tensioner.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:00 AM
scotsport
Advanced

Originally Posted by Z
Suresounds chain related to me, especially since you mentioned the resonance issue. I'm suspecting the auto tensioner.
Yes, it starting to look that way.

I'll report back on the outcome once it been in.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM
scotsport
Advanced

OK. Its been in at the dealer today. Getting great service from these guys. They went into the primary again, and everything checked out OK including chain tension. They compared my bike back to back with other Bobs in the shop and agreed that it had more vibration - not dramatically, but more.

It must be hard for these shops when a customer comes in claiming a 'new vibration'. Its obvious to the owner but how is the tech meant to tell the difference?

Anyway, the outcome was that they think it's the front motor mount. Not failed but a little soft. Co-incidental with the belt change. The bike has always been vibey, but not so much that I felt that something was wrong. The mount needs to ordered in so I'll need to wait beore reporting the fix.

In the meantime, anyone had front mount problems and what were your symptoms?

Cheers

Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey Scott,

You have a good attitude about the position these techs find themselves in. When I first started riding HDs, I probably took my bike in three times complaining about some new vibration or other. I (and a lot of other) HD newbies have driven these guys nuts. How much vibration is too much? Today I'd never complain about the level of vibration I used to complain about.

Quick Reply: New Vibrations after Belt Change