Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Noise from clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008 | 05:38 PM
E ticket
|
Advanced
Default Noise from clutch

Ok I had a new motor installed on my '07 FLHT. The other motor went south. So I get it back and now when I pull the clutch in to downshift there is a clunking/grinding noise for a split second BEFORE I touch the shift lever. I only have heard it downshifting, not upshifting and only from 5th t0 4th and from 4th to 3rd. I haven't had her in 6th to see if it will make the sound from 6th to 5th. I also heard the noise on time when I started the bike. Dealer says they can't hear the noise. I think they don't want to because they may be the cause of the problem and I don't think warranty will pay them to fix their mistake. Any ideas on what might be the problem??

Old 08-26-2008 | 06:35 PM
rbabos
Banned

Could be lots of things but the first thing that comes to mind with your description is a loose primary chain. They are so close to contacting the primary near the engine sprocket that when loose it actually can. There is evidence of this on my softail. I ended up clearancing it a bit.
Then there's all the other things in there, loose comp, clutch hub bearing, incorrectly installed clutch components, even a loose clutch hub itself.
Ron

Old 08-27-2008 | 08:28 PM
E ticket
|
Advanced

Thanks for your thoghts on this Ron. My gut feeling is when the new motor was installed they didn't do something right in the clutch department. I don't feel its the primary chain. I think I wouls hear the noise all of the time. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2008 | 08:43 PM
rbabos
Banned

Probably not the chain, but when you downshift and decel the top goes slack if not adjusted and could be hitting the primary. Look to see if they cut the zip tie off of the adjuster so the adjuster works It's tied off in order to install it and then cut and removed so the adjuster can function. I know, highly unlikely, but not impossible.
Ron

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:45 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If they are telling you they don't hear it when you clearly do hear it then you may want to take it to a different dealer and see if they can hear the noise. Warranty should pay for anything in the first 2 years.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:17 PM
E ticket
|
Advanced

Ron the noise is before I even touch the shift lever. Just pulling the clutch in is when it makes the noise. My bike is still at the dealer. I am waiting for them to call. Last conversation with then was to find and fix the problem and I am not picking it up until its fixed. Haven't heard from them in 4 days. I would love to take it to another dealer but the next nearest to me is in Las Vegas, 130 miles away. Not so easy. Thanks for your help guys. John