Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary nearly dry, possible additonal damage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:37 AM
Rain
|
Tourer
Question Primary nearly dry, possible additonal damage?

I bought a 2000 RK last summer and bought the extended warranty from the local dealer. Took it in last November for some noises and they went through the trans and replaced parts, changed final drive sprockets, and other parts, front motor mount, aligned the bike and I paid for a new belt. Recently noticed a leak on the garage floor after a 500 mile weekend. Checked and the oil and trans levels are good but the primary was so low you couldn't see it or reach the level sticking a long, narrow screwdriver down into the case with the clutch cover off (bike was standing up sitting level). Tracing the leak down it may be the shifer seal or one of the other seals in that area (drain plug area is dry). I also noticed that the belt gaurd is hitting the rear tire and that the belt is rubbing the guard on the tire side.

What I wonder now is with the primary running so low what else could have been damaged (clutch, chain, tensioner, etc.)? And, with the belt guard hitting the tire and the belt rubbing the guard is there any way that it could possibly be in alignment?

I also have a hard time believeing that it leaked almost a quart of primary fluid without me seeeing it until now. Wondering if they failed to fill it all the way.

I've about had it with this dealer. Every time they work on it I end up working on it too. Had an oil change done there recently only to find the plug leaking. Pulled the plug and the o-ring looked wasted. Replaced it myself and used a little thread sealer and that solved it. I learned never to pay them to do something that I can easily do just to save time.

I was supposed to take it in this coming Thursday but am going to ask them to pick it up with the primary being so low.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Rain; 08-10-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:24 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Any parts in the primary that require lubrication could be damaged without the oil.Bearings,seals,chain,sprockets,tensioner and clutch pack.
As far as the belt cover,it could be warpped.Its made of plastic,right?

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If it is leaking it could easily leak a quart out on the road in 500 miles without you noticing. I would pull the cover and have a look. Since you have the warranty make them check & repair it. There is nothing in the primary that they cannot replace that will change or alter the longevity of the life of your bike so relax and let the warranty do it's job. In fact you will be better off if they give you a new clutch,chain & compensator. You never would have made it 500 miles if they did not fill the primary. If the belt was installed incorrectly it could have caused the shaft seal to leak. Make them give you a new belt too.

Might be a good idea to be there when they pull the primary apart. Then have a "come to Jesus" talk with the Service Manager...let them know you are disappointed but reasonable and want the bike fixed correctly. Tell the SM about the oil plug oring incident. Give them one more chance...then find a new dealer where your warranty is valid.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 08-11-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-11-2008 | 07:18 PM
Rain
|
Tourer
Default Thanks for the replies

Appreciate the replies. Didn't want to run it to the dealer dry this week so drained the primary and low and behold it had a quart in it. Pulled the derby and chain inspection covers and put a quart in and it wasn't near where the level the service manual says it should be. Spoke to a guy at an idie yesterday as it was the only place a round to get primary lube and he said some of them are like this in his experience.

The cover could be warped so I'll have them look at that too.

As mentioned it had a pretty fair oil leak at one time. Could the oil have covered the underside of the primary and not dripped until it got really hot? Was riding in 95 to 100 degree weather at 70 mph for about 5 hours before it dripped. Thought I had it cleaned up pretty good using a rag and brake clean but who knows...

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:57 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

If it is a small leak,it could go a long time without visable drops if no one takes a close look.The wind while riding will just spread the oil around underneath.
My shift shaft seal is leaking,but does not drip on the ground yet.Will be taking it in soon for warranty repair.

Old 08-11-2008 | 08:10 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
If it is a small leak,it could go a long time without visable drops if no one takes a close look.The wind while riding will just spread the oil around underneath.
My shift shaft seal is leaking,but does not drip on the ground yet.Will be taking it in soon for warranty repair.

It was wet around mine too. I cleaned it yesterday real good and am trying to get miles on it before it goes in Thursday to make it a little more obvious as to where it's leaking.

Old 08-15-2008 | 05:26 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Nice and dry now that the primary seal has been changed. Hear a slight "whirring" sound from the primary are now. Mean the chain is too tight or has it been too loose until now? Not real loud, just enough to notice it.

Old 08-16-2008 | 08:36 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

The chain is easy to inspect and adjust.Just because a dealer did the work does not mean it was adjusted properly.

Old 08-16-2008 | 08:35 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member

I have a small primary leak and it covers the back of the bike with oil. They didn't fill it.

Old 08-17-2008 | 06:07 PM
Rain
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
The chain is easy to inspect and adjust.Just because a dealer did the work does not mean it was adjusted properly.
I understand. I just feel like doing their work for them again this time.