Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Otis Driftwood
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment problem

A while back I posted that my 95 FXSTS was having issues with the clutch not engaging... It was explained to me how to adjust the clutch via the cable and clutch hub... Fixed the problem temporarily, but I'm having to do it about every 200-400 or so miles. Is this indicative of a failing clutch or clutch plates, or is it possible that vibration is backing out the adjustment screw on the hub?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
fxrfreak
6th Gear
Default clutch adjustment

How many miles are on the bike? Have you taken your friction plates and steel plates out and had a look at them? Remember that the clutch components i.e. friction and steel plates are usable items and need to be replaced every now and again. Is the adjusting screw loose when you go to readjust it? Look at your diaphram spring those get worn out and fatiged also. What are your driving habits? Is the engine stock or modified? Give us some more info..

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Otis Driftwood
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fxrfreak
How many miles are on the bike? Have you taken your friction plates and steel plates out and had a look at them? Remember that the clutch components i.e. friction and steel plates are usable items and need to be replaced every now and again. Is the adjusting screw loose when you go to readjust it? Look at your diaphram spring those get worn out and fatiged also. What are your driving habits? Is the engine stock or modified? Give us some more info..
32,000 and some miles on it. Only modification to the bike is an S&S super E. As far as my driving habits go, I'm generally taking it pretty easy, though the most recent time it came out of adjustment was after a short sprint. Adjustment screw isn't loose when I open the inspection cover, but is generally 2-4 screws out after I loosen the lock nut.

If it is a situation in which I need to replace the plates and/or diaphragm spring, do you have any recommendations as to replacements?

Sorry I wasn't more forthcoming in my previous post, and Thanks!

Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM
fxrfreak
6th Gear

Hey otis what method are you using to adjust? How are you doing the set up? The subject of clutch adjustment has probably been beaten like a dead horse on hdforums, 2-4 screws out is way too much. I dont know how you are doing it and im not insulting your intelligence by any means, but i'll go through the way that works best for me.
Loosen the clutch cable adjuster ALL the way.
Loosen lock nut on adjuster screw and back it out a few turns.
Turn adjuster screw clockwise until GENTLY seated. Making sure locknut doesn't interfere with it being seated, thats why you want to back out the locknut a few turns.
Back off adjuster screw (counter clockwise) 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
Holding adjuster screw in place with allen wrench, tighten locknut.
Take slack out of clutch cable until you have about 1/8 inch freeplay at the clutch cable shoulder. You should be good to go.
Since the bike isn't modified,and if you need new friction and steels or spring i would suggest harley brand. Just go to the dealer and get them,or if you wanted something other then harley, I would go with Barnett kevlars, steels , and spring. Hope this helps, let me know.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Otis Driftwood
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fxrfreak
Hey otis what method are you using to adjust? How are you doing the set up? The subject of clutch adjustment has probably been beaten like a dead horse on hdforums, 2-4 screws out is way too much. I dont know how you are doing it and im not insulting your intelligence by any means, but i'll go through the way that works best for me.
Loosen the clutch cable adjuster ALL the way.
Loosen lock nut on adjuster screw and back it out a few turns.
Turn adjuster screw clockwise until GENTLY seated. Making sure locknut doesn't interfere with it being seated, thats why you want to back out the locknut a few turns.
Back off adjuster screw (counter clockwise) 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
Holding adjuster screw in place with allen wrench, tighten locknut.
Take slack out of clutch cable until you have about 1/8 inch freeplay at the clutch cable shoulder. You should be good to go.
Since the bike isn't modified,and if you need new friction and steels or spring i would suggest harley brand. Just go to the dealer and get them,or if you wanted something other then harley, I would go with Barnett kevlars, steels , and spring. Hope this helps, let me know.
I was using the exact method you described. I back it out a half turn, and then after riding it for a couple days it seems to loosen up somehow. The lock nut is still tightened down, but the clutch won't engage all the way, so I repeat the steps you described and it's good for another couple days. When I undo the lock nut, there seems to usually be the 2-4 turns described until the adjuster screw seats. Do you this this is more likely due to the clutch wearing in some way or more due to one of the adjustments vibrating loose?

In case I'm barking up the wrong tree completely, the symptoms on the actual bike are that over the course of anywhere from 10 to 25 miles(after riding it for a few days or roughly 150 miles) it starts having a very difficult time getting up hills and accelerating. The motor revs up fine and doesn't bog down, but clearly little of the power is making it to the wheel.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:55 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 853 Likes on 643 Posts

above info is very good.
1-by chance is adjustment done with bike stone cold..after sitting over night or while warm/hot ?
2-anything different about the oil used in basket/primary?...how long since changed?

Old 08-08-2008, 06:00 PM
fxrfreak
6th Gear

Hey Otis, the last paragraph of your last post answered alot. The bike needs a new clutch. No doubt about it. I would replace the whole shabag frictions, steels and spring run you about 180. Thats definatly the problem. Take it easy, let me know.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:49 PM
mac6539
4th Gear

i have a 95 king w/45k on it replaced the clutch 2yrs ago (10k) i adjusted it recently but it seems to grab later (further out almost released) point and suggestions

Old 09-23-2008, 10:22 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

just curious.. did you get it figured out/fixed?