Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

06 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Babe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure

Like a number of other contributors I've also suffered an IPB failure. I was 350 miles away from home at the time, at the UK's 105th Anniversary Party, and the local dealer worked Sunday on the repair to get me back on the road - so no complaints there (superb service from&nbsp\\;Riders of Bridgwater). However, the bike's only got 10,000 miles on it, and, although 3 months out of its official warranty period, I reckon HD should reimburse me for the costs incurred.&nbsp\\;I see from this forum that it's not an unknown problem, therefore, a couple of questions you may be able to help with:
&nbsp\\;
1. Have the MoCo ever issued a service bulletin or&nbsp\\;recall&nbsp\\;in connection with this problem?
2. The dealer installed roller bearing p/n 9135, inner bearing race p/n 34091-06 &amp\\; oil seal p/n 12052A. Are these the correct parts or have components been upgraded in light of the IPB problem?

Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing Failure

Join the club. Mine started making a noise while at the Denmark Super Rally but got me back to the UK.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The MoCo were going to change the bearing&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;every 15,000 miles for the life of the bike but retracted it later and said there was no need. As you have discovered, there is still very much&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;a need.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I replaced my&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;IPB with those part numbers. As far as I know, there is no alternative. The 08's have a different inner race (34091-08) and a different input shaft.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I'd love to know what the official MoCo explaination for these failures&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;is.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Pixs
Tourer
Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
hotrod69
Stage III

Heads up guys My 06 Wide Glide IPB just failed for the second time (first at less than 5000 mi and now just under 10000 mi) I am out of warranty and told my dealer that in no way was I paying for it to be fixed. They said they would call H-D to find out what they would do. I told them to tell H-D to ck out this site before they think of jerking me around. It worked, they are changing out the trans case, inner primary case and associated parts directly from what everybody has said on this site. I will post all the parts when I get it back this Wed. By the way the bearing numbers they put in your bike are the old numbers and the bearing is not the issue anyway. It is an alignment problem with the cases and pins.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:30 PM
firsttime
6th Gear

What does the IPB failure sound like and what are its symptoms? I have an 06 Electra Glide Classic with 12,000 miles and just starting noticing what I think is clutch chatter at slow speeds (1st & 2nd gear) coming from the Primary Gearcase. Shifting is fine, however I'm noticing just a bit more vibration at > 55mph. Am I dealing with the same problem?

Old 08-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Oilslick
Tourer

Idling in neutral there will be bearing rumble which disappears when the clutch is pulled. You might have to blip the throttle to separate the plates.

If this is down to a manufacturing flaw then I hope the MoCo will do the decent thing and have a recall. I've change mine myself once already and don't want to do this every 10,000 miles.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:19 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Oilslick et al,

Talk to your local dealer and ask that he contact his area rep. Be nice, the dealer didn't build your bike.

Best to all,

Pixs

Old 08-31-2008, 03:35 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a series of links in this thread that end at http://www.westcoastbikers(dot)com/f...html#post26488 unfortunitly that final link is dead it looks like. anyone get a final resolution on this?

Old 08-31-2008, 04:08 PM
scotsport
Advanced

Originally Posted by jarhead45
there is a series of links in this thread that end at http://www.westcoastbikers(dot)com/f...html#post26488 unfortunitly that final link is dead it looks like. anyone get a final resolution on this?
Yes , a final definitive answer is needed but seems ellusive! Best kept 'secret' it seems.

Was it just an allignment issue and if so, when in the production run was it sorted out for good, and how? Dowels between the tranny & primary cases seem important. Were these fitted before the 08 models came out?

I have an 07 FXDB (dec 06 build) on 9K miles. So far so good.

I suspect that if we were going to get any more information from the MOCO we would have done by now.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Hi Folks,

I was informed by a member that the link didn't work so here goes:

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Road Warrior

My Mood:
Re: 06 Dyna Inner Primary Bearing:
Howdy Folks,

The story continues: I got the bike back after 3 days short of two months in the shop. The bottom line, after a couple of screw ups with the parts ordered, the transmission case, main shaft, and all the bearings in the tranny were replaced including the trap door to get the pins in. Also replace: the inner primary case and bearing as well as the Clutch hub bearing and the shift shaft and shift lever (last guy to work on it didn't tighten up the shift pinch bolt correctly and stripped the spline on the shaft and the shift lever, he is history). Minor whine in the tranny, and someone dropped something on the fender putting a chip in the paint (NBD, I'll fix it).

The dealer, went way out of his way to get this done on Harley's dime, the bike was out of warranty the only charge was $7.50 for a derby gasket because it was not stock.

When all the correct parts were in it took only 2 days to get the bike back, the screw ups were from the factory and not the dealer except a minor delay due to an error in an order. chit happens and that is why they put erasers on pencils.

We're talking about $850.00 worth of parts and the labor to do it on Harley, so, they did the right thing and fixed it. Thank you Harley Davidson and an especially big thanks to Kirby and his staff at Bigg's Harley Davidson in San Marcos CA. BTW, they did offer to set me up with a loaner bike while mine was in the shop, I declined, I wanted to ride my 1200S Sportster for a while.

So, if I jump square in your chit for Stealer comments or MOCO negativity, you'll know why.

Best to all,

Pixs

I hope that helps, good luck to all, by the way the link is not dead, you need to sign up to access it.

Best to all,

Pixs

Last edited by Pixs; 09-01-2008 at 01:46 PM.