Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

OIL EVERYWHERE / Crank Case breather hose HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Nightster 13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL EVERYWHERE / Crank Case breather hose HELP!!

On my nightster, the crank case breather hose comes up out of the crank case and essentially spits out the air which pulls along oil to the left of the bike but on top of the crank case,(probably similiar on all nightsters). The oil seems to now appear along the seam of the crank case all the way to the back from where the breather hose sits and I was wondering if anyone else had this problem.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; i understand its a Harley and will spit some oil, but it seems strange that the location of the breather hose would be as so to dump it all over the crank case the way it is.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Any help/feedback?!? Plus, should it show alongthe seam of the crank case/transmission like that?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OIL EVERYWHERE / Crank Case breather hose HELP!!

&nbsp\\; I had a similar problem with my 01' Ultra spitting out oil from the vent hose. I tried different hose positions, but nothing would make it go away. I finally fixed it by buying some hose and a fuel filter with the hose connections on one end and hiding everything behind the left side cover. It works great! Keep the hoses going in from the top and out of the top of the filter, and there is no way for oil to get out.
&nbsp\\; I made sure that my tranny wasn't overfilled prior to doing this to make sure that overfilling wasn't the issue. Mine usually leaked after sustained high speed riding (like 80mph on the Interstate).