Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Grinding? noise when coming to a stop...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 AM
Bad Daddy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding? noise when coming to a stop...

When I am coming to a stop, in second gear, with the clutch lever pulled to the bar, I get this grinding noise...

I am using the front brake and a little of the rear brake, and it feels like it is the rear brake that makes the noise.
The brakes have lots of meat on the pad, but maybe there is something on the pad or caliper that has let go, and is making this noise?

The noise that I am hearing sounds like a transmission being put into gear without the clutch being used....

This is on a 2002 FLSTCI. I bought it used, and it has had all the service done, and no issues, so maybe it is the clutch cable,
or the clutch that needs adjusting...

And of course this is my first bike, so no clue...

Old 06-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Pyper
Novice
Default RE: Grinding? noise when coming to a stop...

Do you&nbsp\\; hear the same noise if you come to a stop using only your front brake and no rear brake ?

Old 07-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Bad Daddy
Advanced
Default RE: Grinding? noise when coming to a stop...

I only hear it / feel it when it is in second gear, coming to a stop and it is only through the rear brake.... Its really weird..

I think that the previous owner had an issue with it as well, because he has had the rear pads changed twice in 14K miles...

When I feel the grinding noise I let of the brake.

Yesterday when I felt it, I hit the brake harder, and it felt like the transmission was being shifted out of gear, and it stopped...

Doesnt do it in 1st, neutral, or third.... crazy.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Bad Daddy
Advanced

I'm going to install the reduced effort clutch kit, (if I can get the pipes off!) and see if that makes a difference.
I've changed the transmission and primary oil, and nothing bad came out...

Clutch is adjusted to spec, and about the only thing I can think of is that its a bearing or something. Mainly because if I give the pedal a firm push, that feeling through the pedal is gone... or maybe it needs a good bleeding... reminds me of Monty Python!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,449 Likes on 5,034 Posts

A reduced effort clutch kit will not solve this problem, it is in the drivetrain somewhere, don`t start throwing new parts at it…yet.

Easy stuff to check:

Check the shifter linkage.

Check the drive belt for missing teeth.

Check Primary Chain tension.

Check oil level in transmission and primary case.

Pull the top off the transmission and check the shifter forks and shifter pawl adjustment (I bet the problem is here, since it only does it in 2nd gear). Also check the springs on the shifter pawl.

While the top of the tranny is off, put the bike on a lift or blocks to get the rear wheel off the ground, put the ibke in top gear, hold in the clutch and spin the rear wheel and listen for noises, do this in each gear.

If all these are ok, pull the primary cover off and check the compensator nut to be sure it is not loose.

Please keep us posted!

Good luck -Dan

Old 04-13-2009, 04:06 PM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Admittantly I could be wrong but IMHO, since it only happens in second gear, I vote none of the above since poster does not mention jumping out, slipping, hard shifting, etc. or any other problem except a "noise" which could be attributed to being a "first bike"... but why would you want to come to a stop using second gear when the first thing you do is take off in first anyways plus makes it harder to find Neutral from that direction?

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 AM
Bad Daddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Admittantly I could be wrong but IMHO, since it only happens in second gear, I vote none of the above since poster does not mention jumping out, slipping, hard shifting, etc. or any other problem except a "noise" which could be attributed to being a "first bike"... but why would you want to come to a stop using second gear when the first thing you do is take off in first anyways plus makes it harder to find Neutral from that direction?
When we took our motorcycle class, the instructor had told us that as we come to a stop,
down shift all the way to first, "keep downshifting so that you know you are in first, and leave it in first, with the clutch pulled in at the intersection, your right foot on the brake, and left foot down. That way, you're ready to go at a moments notice if you need to get out of the way immediately...."

It just happens as I am slowing down, and if I am in second, with the clutch pulled in, and apply the rear brake near the end of the stop, and right before I shift to first....

Only when the rear brake is used...

It hasnt done it the last three days I've been out...

Old 04-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Bad Daddy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
A reduced effort clutch kit will not solve this problem, it is in the drivetrain somewhere, don`t start throwing new parts at it…yet.

Easy stuff to check:

Check the shifter linkage.

Check the drive belt for missing teeth.

Check Primary Chain tension.

Check oil level in transmission and primary case.

Pull the top off the transmission and check the shifter forks and shifter pawl adjustment (I bet the problem is here, since it only does it in 2nd gear). Also check the springs on the shifter pawl.

While the top of the tranny is off, put the bike on a lift or blocks to get the rear wheel off the ground, put the ibke in top gear, hold in the clutch and spin the rear wheel and listen for noises, do this in each gear.

If all these are ok, pull the primary cover off and check the compensator nut to be sure it is not loose.

Please keep us posted!

Good luck -Dan
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the tips...

I was thinking shifter pawls too. Or the shifter linkage...The reason being, it is sometimes hard to find neutral.

The transmission oil, and primary oil are both filled to spec.
Primary chain is adjusted to spec.
Clutch is adjusted to spec.
Was going to put on the reduced effort kit because of a pre-existing wrist injury, not to eliminate the grinding noise....

Back to man-cave!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like it's not downshifting to the exact spot in second and on the verge of engagement. An adjustment is probably needed. You probably would never have noticed if you always end up in first when stopping, as it should be done.
Ron