Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch lever travel/clutch engagement point

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 PM
UglyLou
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch lever travel/clutch engagement point

I'm a little worried about the point at which my clutch engages when I release the cable on my '05 FLSTN.

After its 10,000 mile service, the clutch would begin to engage when the lever was released about 60% and would be fully engaged at about 85%.&nbsp\\; The remaining 15% of clutch travel was under tension (except for the last 1/4" which was slack).

After I did an hour of very low-speed friction zone practice driving, the clutch begins to engage when the lever is at about 80%.&nbsp\\; It continues to engage until the cluch lever is fully released. Since there's no "extra" distance of travel in the clutch lever,&nbsp\\; I'm just sort of worried that the clutch is under a little bit of tension all the time.

I don't have any other symptoms of a problem. There's still the 1/4" slack, the transmission shift neatly, and Neutral is perfectly Neutral.&nbsp\\; I don't have any sensation of slipping.

I don't have a center stand.&nbsp\\; Should I get one and go through the steps to adjust the clutch?

Old 06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: Clutch lever travel/clutch engagement point

You can just put a 2x4 block of wood under the jiffy and that should get you level enough to prevent oil from spilling out.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Then check the DIY threads and find the clutch adjustment thread and have at it. Your clutch should engage as soon as you begin to pull the lever so you get complete seperation of the plates. You may just need a small adjustment on the cable slack adjuster.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:05 AM
carpe_diem25
Cruiser

I'm glad you asked because I've been having the same issue with my 05 Road King.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:46 PM
roenm38
Intermediate

Last Sunday I adjusted the clutch , changed the primary fluid, and checked the primary chain&nbsp\\;for proper adjustment on my 2005 Heritage Classic. 8600 miles on the unit and I have had the cycle since last August. My clutch lever feels just the way you described your clutch lever function- it starts to engage a about 60% travel and is fully engaged at about 85% with the rest being slack. I did the clutch adjustment by the book and I&nbsp\\;am happy with the results. Before the sevice and adjustment of the clutch I had trouble getting the bike in 1st gear, especially when the cycle was cold. Now, the cycle shifts very well and the clutch discs seem to engage and disegage the way they&nbsp\\;were designed to.&nbsp\\;