Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Fluid Leak between Inner Primary and Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 04:07 PM
ddj94kw
|
Stage II
Default Fluid Leak between Inner Primary and Transmission

I have a 2006 Ultra with 20,000 miles, starting to notice a slight fluid leak between inner primary and transmission suspect one or both Main Shaft Seal or/and Shifter Shaft Seal, how difficult is it to fix? What is the best type of seals? Does this seem to be a common problem? How long can I ride it before iT goes from slight leak to a real problem?
THANKS
DJ

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:18 PM
dryrun
Novice
Default RE: Fluid Leak between Inner Primary and Transmission

I had this happen years ago while on a trip, I kept a close eye on the primary oil level and added oil daily to make up for the leak. once home I had a dealer do the job, for a song... the fix was said to be an inner sprocket gasket seal. If you elect to do it yourself, I would encourage you to purchase a shop manual, and treat the expense as tool you will use over and over...

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:41 PM
splitting_lanes
Tourer

I've had problems with the shifter shaft seal on my dyna with mid-controls.&nbsp\\; the seal has been replaced twice (it seems to work it's way onto the shaft, and then get chewed up by it).

I don't have a permanent solution, just chimming in on the thread...

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:50 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member

First thing.....
&nbsp\\;
Determine what is leaking....either primary or transmission. OR perhaps a little of both?
&nbsp\\;
Determining on how much experience and comfort level you have on working on things....you may want to tear into it yourself. Of course....the shop manual is highly recommended.
&nbsp\\;
Special tools do come up often....however, depending on your experience. You maybe able to substitute another tool to make it work. Even if you buy a special tool...you are still ahead when it comes to dealers service departments prices.
&nbsp\\;
I have been fighting an ongoing battle with my 1998 Electra Glide as well. Last time, the fith gear mainshaft was the culprit. Well, it is leaking again.....[:@]. I am getting closer and closer to buying a new transmission.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-16-2008 | 08:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

First thing.....
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\;
Determine what is leaking....either primary or transmission. OR perhaps a little of both?
Determining on how much experience and comfort level you have on working on things....you may want to tear into it yourself. Of course....the shop manual is highly recommended.
Special tools do come up often....however, depending on your experience. You maybe able to substitute another tool to make it work. Even if you buy a special tool...you are still ahead when it comes to dealers service departments prices.
I have been fighting an ongoing battle with my 1998 Electra Glide as well. Last time, the fith gear mainshaft was the culprit. Well, it is leaking again.....[:@]. I am getting closer and closer to buying a new transmission.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
Why not have your trans re-built? New bearings, bushings,seals, gaskets,&nbsp\\;all new rubber parts, all new springs. Much cheaper.

Old 06-17-2008 | 09:00 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

That leak is in the area known as the "Bermuda Triangle"&nbsp\\; Could be engine oil, tray oil or primary oil.&nbsp\\; If primary, seeing you have so few miles could be a problem with the innner primary sela on the trans imput shaft.&nbsp\\; There is an inner "race" or sleeve pressed onto the shaft that the seal rides on.&nbsp\\; They have been known to move slightly allowing the lip of the seal to fall over the backside of the sleeve, causing a leak.
&nbsp\\;
Tip:&nbsp\\; I run three different color oils so if I do get a leak, I will know exactly what is leaking.&nbsp\\; I run ATF (red) in the primary, Redline Shockproof Heavy (pink) in the tranny, and regular oil in the engine.&nbsp\\; It paid off once as I did have the inner race move and developed a leak, and knew right away it was primary oil.