Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

transmission sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008 | 03:22 PM
99fxsts
|
Stage III
Default transmission sprocket

I have a trans. question. The bike is a 1999 Springer Softail, fxsts. I had a trans. that would not go into gear. It would grind.When I removed the clutch assy. and inner primary, I found the teeth sheared off of the trans sprocket.The transgears look OK. How much play is there between the trans input shaft and drive shaft?I can hold the output andmove the input shaft about 45 degrees.What would cause the teeth to shear off of the sprocket? I'm new to the forum, so thanksfor any info. John

Old 05-26-2008 | 10:14 PM
riden2low
Tourer
Default RE: transmission sprocket

Would the teeth be sheared off because of the sprocket nut backing off? I just had an oil seal go and the sprocket retaining nut just came off with out me even putting a wrench on it. So the main drive sprocket was just wobbling on the shaft. If it wasn't caught in time, I could see the teeth being sheared off. I put in a new seal, new main drive sprocket by Jims and Jims new main sprocket nut the has the locking retainer made with the nut. So no more backing off.

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:19 PM
99fxsts
|
Stage III

It does look like the nut backed off. I can not find anything else wrong with the tranny. I'm going to replace all the seals while it's opened up.

Old 06-02-2008 | 10:30 PM
riden2low
Tourer

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...mp;Search.y=20
Jims calls their main drive sprocket nut "mega nut"... the site above will give you the best price. I had put mine all back together and still had a leak, tore it down again and thought it was the quad seal. Replaced once more and set the bike down on the kick stand with out the primary on as I wanted to make sure that I had it fixed. Again it leaked a little. I reread my manual and realized that there is another small oil seal in side the collar that the main drive nut threads on. That was where my leak was coming from. Had to pick me up a main drive bearing tool off of Ebay. There is a bearing race that needs to be pulled to get to this oil seal. A hassle but I am pretty sure this will take care of any leakage. In most cases, a good Harley mechanic would change them all out but I am learning as others on here. So you might be lucky to change out the oil seals that you can get to with out any special tools.