Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Redline Primary Oil is the ticket

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Road King Terry
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redline Primary Oil is the ticket

I'm also a hugh fan of Redline products, use it in all three......

Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Redline Primary Oil is the ticket

I posted in another thread, an FYI, Red Line, is NOT API certified oil! This was straight from the horses mouth when I spoke to, I believe his name was Jeff, at Red Line yesterday. This should only concern you if your bike is still under warranty. If you have engine issues, HD can point the finger at the lube you use and deny warranty. This is a very common practice in the automotive industry now days even when they see aftermarket products/parts installed... I'm getting ready to switch over to Syns in all 3, but will be sure all 3 meet HD requirements, then there is no dispute!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 PM
ercrich
Stage I

Not going with redline, but you are going with syn 3, wow. do you work for harley, redline is the best syn 3 is junk, do your homework. you must be new at this. not to be insultive but nobody should take this advice and no i do not work for redline.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ercrich
Not going with redline, but you are going with syn 3, wow. do you work for harley, redline is the best syn 3 is junk, do your homework. you must be new at this. not to be insultive but nobody should take this advice and no i do not work for redline.

You might want to go back and read that post again. He didn't say Syn3. He said syn in all 3 holes that meets HD requirements. I do agree with you though that HD Syn3 is far from the best choice IMO!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similiar experience to that of the OP...

Brand new 09 RKC. Up to the 1000 mile point, I was pretty disappointed in the performance of the clutch. It was very "grabby", and there was very little friction zone (it was more like on/off)... So at the 1000 mile service (which I did myself), I replaced the primary fluid with Redline V-Twin Primary. Immediately, and I do mean IMMEDIATELY, there was a huge difference. It is no longer "grabby" at all, and the friction zone is now normal (larger). Much easier to feather the clutch in traffic and such. Overall, an A+++ for Redline Primary!

On an aside, I have read many people saying that they just use the cheapest 10w40 motor oil that they can find for their primary cases. But based on my personal experience, I'll pony up the extra money for the Redline Primary fluid. Afterall, it only takes 1 quart, and you don't have to change it all that often. For me, it's not necessarily about "protection" (as virtually any oil would suffice in the primary), but I like the clutch "performance" of the Redline.

Also, I called Redline's corporate office, and asked what the difference was between their V-Twin Primary oil and their MTL. Their answer: the label and the color of the bottle. The way he explained it, the fine folks in Redline's marketing department felt that many bikers stayed away from the MTL because the bottle made no mention of being used in a bike. So they created a new line of products, V-Twin. And in the case of the V-Twin Primary/MTL, it was already perfect for the application, so no changes were made in the formula. Just re-badged it and up'd the price by a little bit.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamorris2
I had a similiar experience to that of the OP...

Brand new 09 RKC. Up to the 1000 mile point, I was pretty disappointed in the performance of the clutch. It was very "grabby", and there was very little friction zone (it was more like on/off)... So at the 1000 mile service (which I did myself), I replaced the primary fluid with Redline V-Twin Primary. Immediately, and I do mean IMMEDIATELY, there was a huge difference. It is no longer "grabby" at all, and the friction zone is now normal (larger). Much easier to feather the clutch in traffic and such. Overall, an A+++ for Redline Primary!
B&M Trick Shift gives the same result. I put that in my primary a couple days ago and I'm very pleased with the result. No more jump when you put it in 1st cold, clutch doesn't grab when cold, clutch take up is more linear now.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Manual trans lube in the Primary??? Thought it was to be 20-50??
Redline MYL is a 70w80 GL4 GroupV manual transmission lubricant that contains no moly and has a pour point like a 5w30 motor oil so it reduces cold clutch drag and is just a bit heavier that ATF. It works great in the primary and will not void your warranty and will outperform the syn3 although the syn3 is good for the primary as well IMO.

For your trans try the Redline GL5 75w250 Shockproof Heavy Gear oil. It is the bomb. QUiet smooth shifting.

www.myoilshop.com

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by ercrich
I have to disagree. While I am a big redline fan and think they are better. HD lubricants are fine. They will do the job and the Syn3 is excellent although I would use a gear oil (at least a 75w90) in the trans.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll never know how smooth your bike can shift till you use Redline heavy in the transmission. It is a fact.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Crankster
Cruiser

+1 RL in all 3