Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

HELP! bent mainshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:50 PM
113fatboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! bent mainshaft

I just can't believe this -- has anybody ever heard of this? I run a 98 softail with a 113 Ultima 6 speed Revtech (less than 500 miles), stock style primary, aftermarket discs and a BDL heavy spring and a 130 Avon tire. I chewed up the ring gear thinking it was a weak battery so I replaced it with a 66 tooth and a new pinion. While I was putting everything back together, I stuck the clutch on and spun the hub and the outside clutch housing with the ring gear wobbled a lot. The bearing in the hub is fine, not a lot of play, spins free and quiet. So I put it all together minus the primary cover and hit the starter to see how bad the wobble was with the starter and it's bad, almost a quarter inch and the starter was binding (I know I shouldn't hit the starter with the primary off but I wanted to see it). So I tried it with the cover on and the same deal. The only thing I can come up with is a bent mainshaft on the tranny. What the hell would cause this? Yeah, I ride it hard but no harder than my buddies who are running everything from nitrous to stock.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
Ultra Rider 03
Intermediate
Default RE: HELP! bent mainshaft

I have run across this before and could be what you have. It usally is not a bent shaft at all. The clutch hub has a washer in it and held in with a snap ring in the middle. This washers hole is to big and will not seat flat on the small flat on the main shaft cause the hole is big and slides off the side some. I had to make a washer with the right size hole in it to fix mine. Any way do check the run out on your shaft but I bet it is good and is just this washer.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:20 AM
113fatboy
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice but it is the mainshaft. I'm still shocked that I could do this
the only other thing I can think of is it came from the factory that way.
So I will try warranty guys are telling me I would be better off bolting a chain
on it and using it as a boat anchor then trying to get parts from revtech

Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Chubby
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man... that sucks! Sounds to me like it should definitely be covered by warranty... I would get nasty on them! Just tell them that you were breaking it in slow and blah, blah. I wouldn't let it rest. Just keep buggin'. Not a good idea to say I was just running with the fuelies and bam. LOL
I run mine pretty hard and so does everyone at some point... what kinda' crap are they building?
If a company doesn't stand by their stuff I don't want anything to do with them.