Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

primary whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:06 PM
njesus
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary whine

Have an 05 WG with state one mods, I have 41000 miles and haven't had any issues until now. I hear the primary whine when reving and accelarating and deceling. I have just changed all fluids and it is still there. Do you think do to the amount of miles the chain tensioner is to tight. I looked last night at everything and it all looked good but I am not sure about the tension part, as the manual states 3/8-5/8 play and from the inspection cover you really can't check to see if it has that much play, where do you check the tension to the left of the chain tesnion or the right Any input would be great

Old 05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: primary whine

Does your primary case cover have a small inspection cover (rectangular shaped). If so you check the play up and down from that cover. If not you have to pull the case cover unless you can see in the round inspection hole with the clutch in the way. On my bike you really cant see in there and you have to pull the primary case cover. Your chain may be too tight which is usually the case. What oil are you using?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:22 AM
njesus
Novice

I have the inspection cover and I losened the chain and now it has a chirping sound so I must have made it too loose. I will tighten up this afternoon and go from there I hope. I am usuing the harley primary/tranny fluid

Old 05-11-2008, 09:00 AM
esyrdgcwby
Cruiser

Sound like you are definatly having primary chain tension issues, It is a real pain in the a$$ to adjust your chain, it is very easy to get it too tight or too loose, I highly recommend installing a auto matic chain tensioner of some sort, I personally have HDs in my 00FXST works great installed once & haven't messed with it since. Got over 50k on this tensioner.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
njesus
Novice

This whole setting the manual adjuster sucks, I am still fiddling around with it and I thought the wine was gond last night after resetting and when I left to ride to work this morning the wine was still there. I really just want to set the adjustment right rather than puchase more crap to install, as I won't take it to dealership for anything except changing tires

Old 06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
njesus
Novice

Ok, what would you say the primary whine sounds like, is it when you hit the throttle does it go up and down with the throttle or is it a whirring sound that goes up and down, and would the cam chain make a whine similar?

Old 06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
lecomte38
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to be a SA but check the other side.&nbsp\\; If you haven't replaced the cam chain tensioners I'd look over there. The cam chain tensioners can resonate thru the crank.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:52 PM
Pixs
Tourer

Hi Folks,

I'd check to see if the chain is worn out after I checked the cam chain and tensioners.

Best to all

Pixs

Old 06-12-2008, 12:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: lecomte38

Not to be a SA but check the other side.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; If you haven't replaced the cam chain tensioners I'd look over there. The cam chain tensioners can resonate thru the crank.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Good point at 41k you may need new tensioner shoes. If you are anywhere near an oil change then cut open your used oil filter and look for pieces of orange plastic shedding off the cam chain tensioner shoes. If you have any pieces in the filter better get them replaced right away.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:33 PM
lesrrt
Novice

now I know why people sw out and put gear drives in with non bearing cam covers. May have to upgrade oil pump too if alot of pieces are broken via the rails.