Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

shovel clutch

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:10 AM
dragbar
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shovel clutch

Bout ready to give up.The clutch has been draging for a good while so I replaced everything.Started up bike pulled in clutch put in gear it jumps and dies.Its like I did not pull leaver at all!I adjusted cluth and cable like manual says (many times now).I have installed these parts.

1.new clutch hub,changed to 5 stud with longer bearings but I could not figure out where the plastic piece went.It has holes to match the studs but no instructions where it goes.I figure it might go behind clutch shell but behind or in front of bearing retainer.
2.new steel plates
3.new Alto Red Eagle disc
4.new aluminum pressure plate
5.new springs
6.new clutch cable
7. new clutch push rod
8.new adjusting screw
when I pull lever the adjusting screw moves outward about 1/8" or so but the clutch still holding.
this is a 79 shovel I bought in 1981 it never has had a nice smooth clutch I have never been happy with it but lived with it.Anyone have any ideas what to do now.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 102 Posts
Default RE: shovel clutch

So I've redone my 4 speed clutch about 20 times.....I never got a plastic spacer so that's a new one on me....the metal retainer goes on the hub under the small retainer springs behind the hub...right? So what did you do with the lining on the hub? does the hub turn freely by hand when you pull the clutch? I'm guessing the chain or belt tension is right? alignment of the compensator and drum as well as tension will dramatically impact the clutch. make sure your spring height is right on the plate. Also, my plate moves about a 1/4 inch not an 1/8 an 1/8th seems to small of a movement to disenagage the clutch...especially if there is a slight mis-alignment somewhere. I still have problems with my clutch dragging now and then and some chatter.....I have a jockey shift though with a foot clutch so I can really open up the plates to get around alignment issues.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 AM
cznmike
Advanced

I had an 80 sturgis and had the exact same problem for about a year. When I checked the compression plate with the cover off, I could see that it was unbalanced due to the spring pressure/height of the springs. I replaced them with new ones adjusted them to matching heights and then turned my adjuster screw out - just snug and then I had to go 1 1/4 turns out- a lot of fiddling, but when I was done it worked better than it ever had.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 AM
dragbar
6th Gear

Thanks for reply. I got it going last night about 11:00 and rode until 1:30.My problems were,the pushrod was too short,springs were not the same (8 were standard 2 which were next to each other were heavy type).New hub was not seated all the way on main shaft.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
cznmike
Advanced

cool. glad to hear it.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to suggest chucking it all and going with a Primo or BDL belt drive. I have the BDL and except for that first start in the morning(it sticks a little)its smooth and held up to a dozen runs on the strip. I had an '80 FLT I put a Primo setup on and it improved things immensely. The stock clutch basket hadn't changed from 1936 to Evo.