Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

92 FXSTS clutch -- can I pull it w/o the compression tool?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Pidgin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 FXSTS clutch -- can I pull it w/o the compression tool?

Shop manual says to compress the diaphragm using Harley's compression tool -- no way that thing is going to budge without *something*; any thoughts?

I'm trying to remove the trans from the primary...

Old 04-27-2008, 09:43 AM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 92 FXSTS clutch -- can I pull it w/o the compression tool?

You just about have to have some kind of tool to do it. Just one of those things. They are out there, they generally run about $45-50. I made one that works well, not too difficult. You are going to need a puller for the inner bearing race also. JMHO, YMMV, etc.

Bob

Old 04-27-2008, 12:06 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Clutch will come out as an assembly. Remove the snapring that holds the release plate. The release plate has the adjuster screw and lock nut in its center. Remove the release plate to expose the nut. Remove the nut which has left hand threads. You must have the compensator nut also removed. Grab the compensator with one hand and the clutch assembly with the other and remove them as an assembly with the chain attached.

You will then be able to remove the inner primary. Another left hand nut has to be removed from the trans pulley. It is 1-7/16 with left hand threads.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
fruikmen
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had to work on my 93 springer clutch yet (knock on wood) but i made a tool for my 99 sportster clutch by using toilet pvc drain pipe. I lopped off a 1" piece and drilled a hole in the handle of my cressent wrinch handle. Put the pvc onto the compression spring and the cressent wrinch over that with the adj nut screw going throu the handle. then i used the adj nut to tighten the spring down to get the snap ring out and wala...undo it all and pull out the plates all without removing the basket. Now like i said, that is for the sportster and I have not pulled the cover for the springer so I dont know if this will work the same.....but this may give you some ideas anyway....good luck Oh ya, if ya just want to pull the basket..you should be able to pull the snapring holding the ramp bearing on the spring plate without having to compress anything. once the ramp bearing is off you should have plenty of room to remove the nut that holds the basket in and be able o remove the whole assy.