Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

HELP!! - Transmision Oil Change thru Primary chain cover?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:06 PM
arod
|
Novice
Default HELP!! - Transmision Oil Change thru Primary chain cover?

I need some help here.

2 of the bolts on the clutch inpestion cover are totally stripped. I tried everything to get them off, but can't. I've already emptied the trans oil... Doh!

I need to ride, so i was wondering if i can fill in the trans oil through the primary chain cover? is this okay?

Thanks everyone that chimes in.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:23 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: HELP!! - Transmision Oil Change thru Primary chain cover?

ORIGINAL: arod

I need some help here.

2 of the bolts on the clutch inpestion cover are totally stripped. I tried everything to get them off, but can't. I've already emptied the trans oil... Doh! (Transmission oil is drained from the OTHER SIDE OF THE BIKE!!!!!) Are you referring to the Primary fluid that was drained from a small drain BELOW the Derby [Round cover with 5 T-27 Torx crews].... To fill the Transmission, you fill it through the inspection plug, where the dipstick is... as far as filling the Primary, you fill it through the Inspection cover [Pre-Cruisedrive bikes, or through the Derby cover for Cruisedrive bikes... and you only fill the fluid up to the bottom of the spring diaphram [app. 32 oz.]... If you can't get the screws out of the primary, and you HAVE to fill the primary to operate the bike, you are gonna have to invest in some special tools to extracate them...)

I need to ride, so i was wondering if i can fill in the trans oil through the primary chain cover? is this okay? (Impossible to do, unless you have an XL/XB powertrain.... do you own a SERVICE MANUAL????)

Thanks everyone that chimes in.
BTW, welcome aboard... please post an intro in the NEW MEMBERS section...

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:36 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

From other posts, he has an 06 sporty. Try taking a larger torx bit and hammering (lightly) the bit into the head and see if it grabs the stripped ones. Also can try using a hand impact with the larger torx bit. Then replace them out with allens when you're done.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:39 PM
arod
|
Novice

I have a 2006 Sporty Custom; I've emptied the gear oiland need to fill, but can't get acess through the round clutch plate.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:47 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

#1 Next time, post what type of bike you are working on... I don't go back through to see what you are riding....

#2 Fill the primary/trans through the inspection cover (Small window used to check deflection of the chain)... Put 32 oz of fluid in it, until you can get the hardware removed, and when that happens, inspect the level. When installing the replacement hardware, ensure that the threads of the screws have anti-sieze on them... that way you won't run into this problem again....

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:48 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Try also posting in the sportster section for more responses.

Old 04-06-2008 | 08:52 PM
arod
|
Novice

Shovelhead Bob, Dawg,

Thanks a bunch. I'm going to fill it right now.