Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Can you gear down a motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:45 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 564 Likes on 394 Posts
Default RE: Can you gear down a motorcycle?

No compenator sounds harsh,you als lose the benefit of 6th gear.My 5sp only turns 3100 at 70mph.Does evo make a 32 tooth primary sprocket?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: dawg

I put an EVO 30 tooth sprocket in my primary in place of the compensator. Easier than changing out belt and tranny sprocket and you don't need to recalibrate the speedo. $250 includes chain http://www.evoindusa.com
+1
I did the same. Easy swap.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:47 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,223 Likes on 1,840 Posts

ORIGINAL: bklynbob

No compenator sounds harsh,It's not harsh. you als lose the benefit of 6th gear Makes 6th gear more useable IMO .My 5sp only turns 3100 at 70mph.Does evo make a 32 tooth primary sprocket? I understand that they are working on making one.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:16 AM
rebbrag
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to gear the bike down, you can change either the front or rear belt pulley, or both. The prior response to your question suggested changing the frontpulley. You can also change the rear one. Typically the number of teeth on rear pulleys range from about 60 teeth to about 72. Count the number of teeth on yours and then find one with a larger number of teeth. This will cause the engine to rev higher at any given speed, thereby increasing horsepower to the rear wheel. If you, at the same time REDUCED the size of the front pulley you might get away without having to replace the belt. Do some math and try to determine what the percentage increase in rpms might be so that you don't end up dissatisfied with a bike which is geared too low and therefore reving too high at cruising speeds. Replacing the belt (and/or the front pulley) will require taking off the inner primary - which typically necessitates a couple of special tools and knowhow. If you have not done this before, it might be wise to talk this over with your dealer.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Twolf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: schoney

Not true twowolf I've done this a few times. The countershaft sprocket is behind the clutch pack and also behind the inner primary cover, they both have to be removed. Look at yer belt it has to run outside the inner primary it cant run inside it or it will loose all the oil. Also when I changed to a 30T from a 32T that alone dropped my rpm's in 5th(5 speed) 200rpm's. It also took very little backwards adjustment on the rear wheel to take up the new slack. You will have to remove outer primary cover, clutch pac, primary chain with fore and aft sprockets simultaneously, starter, inner primary cover and fiinally the sprocket your lookn for.
Sorry, man.

I talked to my mechanic and you are right, I didn't hear him correctly with alla the stuff we were talkin' about a coupla days ago!

hehe, here is his quote:

"Next time ya call and we talk about yer modifications, have a few less beers and clean the crap outta yer ears!" Then he laughed his *** off. [:-]

BUT, he does agree that everything in my first post is a great plan, and if I ever want to go to a lil' deeper gearing, we can tweak the primary gearing. I doubt I'll need more gear than 3.15, tho...

Oh, yeah, my axle is almost all the way back in the slot already, so I'm kinda stuck with that, ya know?

Ride safe, guys.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:02 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Changing the belt pulleys, either the front, rear or both is a PIA and you will most likely end up changing the belt, plus you will need a speedo recalibration. Changing the engine sprocket is a whole lot easier, less expensive and no speedo recalibration required.

HD dealerships are pushing the belt pulley changes as HD does not make different engine sprockets for the 07 and up bikes, plus they get a ton of labor for doing the swap. It does work well, but just more of everything involved.