Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Can SE Clutch Spring handle higher HP & Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:07 PM
arachman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can SE Clutch Spring handle higher HP & Torque?

Hello all,

I have a stock clutch on an 05 softail deluxe, and I added the SE Clutch spring to compensate for the motor work i had done. When I am done with the bike it will have 105HP or if the folks in the know are right (but I have my doubts) 115 hp. Can that clutch set up take that kind HP and torque?

I tried searching and found nothing!

arachman

Old 03-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Can SE Clutch Spring handle higher HP & Torque?

Hello arachman, I asked pretty much the same question 2 or 3 days agow/ no replies as of yet (I think I've been blackballed for some remarks I made regarding someone else'smother).So I did some research and called a couple of "tuning" shops. I ordered the SE diaphragm spring #37951-98. I was told by this hotrod motor builder that this spring has handled 120 hp/120 lbs-ft with the CVO's they have hopped up (even the Ultras). This is supposed to be the heaviest spring HD has to offer. I don't know if I'm going to need King Kong arms to pull the lever in, but for $30.00 I'm going to give it a go. If the pull is too stiff I will probably go with a variable pressure unit. Most MoCo shops won't have anyone that knows anything (without a part #) so be sure to take thisone w/ you. I'm told this spring fits all motors '99-'08.My bike is an '06 FLHX which is supposed to produce somewhereupwards of100/100. After 60 or so breakin miles it's obvious the stock clutch won't handle the added power.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:07 AM
riskyfool
Cruiser

Yes the SE clutch spring will work just fine. The pull is stiffer but you will get used to it. No King Kong arms necessary. I used it with my HQ build which is similar numbers to yours.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I have the SE clutch spring in mine,pull isnt to bad unless your holding it in in heavy traffic for awhile,service guys at my dealership talked me into putting in a "easy clutch" which is somekind of different excentic on the clutch cable im guessing,the HD catalog says it wont work with the SE clutch spring,but my dealer does them all the time,I have to admit,when i first pulled in the clutch it was so light it fel like it wasnt connected to anything,huge difference in the clutch lever pull,they assure me the SE spring is still in the bike and most of them have done the same upgrade for a lighter clutch pull,I never had much trouble with the heavy pull,except for long periods in traffic.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM
hogdoc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: arachman

Hello all,

I have a stock clutch on an 05 softail deluxe, and I added the SE Clutch spring to compensate for the motor work i had done. When I am done with the bike it will have 105HP or if the folks in the know are right (but I have my doubts) 115 hp. Can that clutch set up take that kind HP and torque?

I tried searching and found nothing!

arachman
We have built 124" and 131" motors making 145 -148 HP and 147-150FT LBs of TQ with the stock clutch and SE spring. It will hold ALOT!