Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Why install VPC clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 06:50 PM
gatorwalt
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why install VPC clutch?

I saw one indy builder install aVPC clutch, and recommend them, but didn't say why.

I don't really understand them, unless it's like the old Cushman scooters, where it will idle and stand still until you give it some throttle, and then it will go........

Please explain one, and why someone might want one, please.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts
Default RE: Why install VPC clutch?

Taken from another site.....

A VPC reduces the spring tension about 40% reduction in clutch pull. At low RPM, where the clutch is more frequently engaged, the VPC makes the clutch pull very light. As RPM goes up, the engine produces more torque and the VP clutch's centrifugal pressure applies more force to the clutch plate, eliminating slippage.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A lot of guys doing builds will go to the VPC clutch as it will let you stock clutch withstand added torque without slippage. Usually going to a stronger clutch means harder pull at the lever, but with a VPC you can at times end up with a lighter pull. They do have a different feel to them at higher engine rpms when pulling the lever, almost like is is stuck them releases. Couple of reasons for VPCs, uses stock clutch, costs anywhere from 1/3 or less of a new clutch setup. I changed to the Primo Pro Clutch and would recommend it to all, easy pull good hook-up and positive disengagement at idle.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can go VPC for a lighter pull initially. The HD kit with a new diaphram spring and ball/ramp assembly will do much of the same as far as reducing the clutch pull. I believe that the newer set up is stock on all 2006 up bikes. Unless you have a monstor motor build, the HD set for about $50.00 is pretty easy to install and not all that expensive. The whole thing takes an hour and a beer or two, you do need a new transmission side cover gasket and primary gasket, and the primary isn't cheap, but it'll give you a chance to look at the chain and tensioner when you take off the primary.

Just another suggestion.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the VPC is a weighted finger pressure plate....same design used on the fuel cars....centrifigal force slings the weights out which forces the fingers to clamp down on the plates...its a simple but very effective means of gettin more grab from your stock unit....i use one .... in the power world, ive found simple things usually give great results with fewer complications

Old 03-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of different model VPC clutches for sale if you decide to try one. sdavis49 at agristar.net