Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

jockey shift suicide clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Peekon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jockey shift suicide clutch

looking to put a jockey shift and suicide clutch on my 05 fatboy, looking for advice and pics concerning kits or installation. i want the shifter to come up on the outside of my leg not between my leg and the tank / seat. i will also want to be able to reach it without bending over, due to 2 things. 1 i have rods in my back and a big gut and 2 i got apes .

tried the search but could not get any results

Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 AM
schoney
Tourer
Default RE: jockey shift suicide clutch

Peekon send me a pm with youremail and I'll send you a pic of one I built for my 99 King. Unlike your softail I had to mount mine to the frame due to being rubbermounted and vibration at idle. You will be able to mount yours to the top horn mount and it will be much easier. I use 16" apes and made the top of my shifter to be 3" under the handlebars. I also designed my own clutch, and it uses the stock clutch cable just cut shorter, so no clutch cable replacement was nescessary. I can push my clutch pedal in with my little finger, it is so easy. I'll give you my Phone # and would be happy to talk with you.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
lowlife87
Cruiser

i was wondering is it a pain to ride suicide shift in traffic???? i dont know anyone who has one so im asking you??? i have a sportster with wide tank and such and i like the looks of them!!! i dont want a pain to use it!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 10:23 AM
schoney
Tourer

A true suicide can be a little different than a jockey although I use both terms interchangeable. A true suicide ( which I have) you have to keep your foot on the clutch or the bike goes. A jockey uses a clutch with a position to hold the clutch in place so you can keep both feet on the ground. When I first started riding one it took me about 200 mile to be comfortable, and another 500 to ride it in any traffic. Old habits are hard to brake so when you come to the first stop light you'll be reaching for the hand clutch, and when you finally remember you'll be trying to remember which way to shift into nuetral. By this time I figured this out I had to hit the kill button. A couple of things to think about first is make sure the handle end of the jockey stick has to be moved far enough when you shift, so it is easier to find nuetral. I changed my linkage 3-4 times before it felt right to me(we will all be different as to our likes). As Peekon talked about, know where you want to shift from, I like the stick high alongside the tank right below my apes. Once you set it up right it becomes very fun to ride, and I ride it in downtown Portland with no problems. It would also be easier to build one if you converted to a hydraulic clutch, but I have a kicker, and don't know of any hydraulic clutches for kickers, so I designed and built my own set-up. I have been very happy with my set-up and would convert my next bike if I were buying one now. If you put one on you will need to like to talk to people, cause you will get looks, and questions.