Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Tight Primary Chain

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Tight Primary Chain

ORIGINAL: rbabos

The whir sound is normal. If you pushed the ratchet up more than one click beyond it's normal spring setting you are asking for trouble . I've had several posts on how this thing works and should explain it all including why it makes a clank sound when on and off the throttle, as well as that rediculous claim of overtightening on it's own if correctly set up. Too much to type here, but search should find them. In the early posts I too assumed it was a piece of crap, but later investigation proved otherwise.
Ron
When I installed it I made sure to have enough slack, about 1", and then released the tensioner and it did only move up one click. So I guess the noise is normal for this setup although it irritates me just enough that I might go back to the manual adjuster to get rid of the da## noise. I could live with it if I didn't think it might be screwing something else up by being too tight.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The slack should be 3/8-5/8 and although the impression is the chain is too tight it's not. Keep in mind it's not a rigid settup as you will still be able to push down on the top part of the chain and it will compress the spring in the shoe to give slack for a hot chain. The ratchet is only the first adjustment. Operational tension control is achieved from the spring system under the shoe. Much like the M6. Unless you force the ratchet up to the point where you are now compressing the shoe springs, over tightening cannot occur. The chain can never tighten from heat enough to use the full travel of the shoe springs. The tight feeling ,but not rigid chain loads pale in comparison as to what loads the crank sees when you get on the throttle.
Ron

Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike_oh

ORIGINAL: rbabos

The whir sound is normal. If you pushed the ratchet up more than one click beyond it's normal spring setting you are asking for trouble . I've had several posts on how this thing works and should explain it all including why it makes a clank sound when on and off the throttle, as well as that rediculous claim of overtightening on it's own if correctly set up. Too much to type here, but search should find them. In the early posts I too assumed it was a piece of crap, but later investigation proved otherwise.
Ron
When I installed it I made sure to have enough slack, about 1", and then released the tensioner and it did only move up one click. So I guess the noise is normal for this setup although it irritates me just enough that I might go back to the manual adjuster to get rid of the da## noise. I could live with it if I didn't think it might be screwing something else up by being too tight.
I would ditch the auto adjuster and go back to a manual. I wish my case had an inspection cover and I would ditch mine in a NY minute. Just more $hit to go wrong IMO.