Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Help!!!!!!!! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!!!!! Please!

OK, I asked in another thread but I've now done a bit of digging and seem to be stuck. Here's the deal...

I've got a new R&R motor with an S&S bottom end (case) that I'm installing. I'm mating a new chrome inner primary to it. I've got a new O-ring seal (front). When I mount the new inner primary it just doesn't feel like I'm making firm contact with the o-ring. If I put on the old primary I can feel the o-ring. Somebody else said there were different thickness o-rings for mating the inner primary to the motor, but I've looked for hours and can't find a single part like that listed anywhere. So, at this point my choices seem to be:

1) Rip the starter and inner primary back off, press themainshaft bearing back out, and return the inner primary. Order another primary, or powdercoat the old one. This will (again) delay getting this done and will cost me more money.

2) Rip the starter and inner primary back off, use some gasket sealer around the o-ring area and remount it.

3) Decide that I'm worrying about nothing and finish the build. This would mean that I'd be saying the inner primary is making contact but just not enough that I can feel it - but that after torqueing the inner primary down it's sealed.

4) Search further for this mythical "thicker" o-ring.

I could really use some help here. I'm completely stopped right now. Anybody?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help!!!!!!!! Please!

I wish I had the answer, but I will bump your thread so it stays at the top of the list for today.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:51 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

Thanks! I'm down here in my shop looking at this thing. It's driving me nuts.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It is normal,have also had the same concern.I have an S&S motor as well as an R&R motor.neither one had the squish the O-ring feel,and neither one leaks.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

Dog,

Thanks - I measured and it looks as though the new primary is about .017 "deeper" where it mounts against the motor. When I torqued it down, I took off the rotor and sprayed some WD40 against the edges from the inside out and it seemed OK. No leaks. But when I loosened up the primary mounting bolts a little, it did start to leak. My concern is that if anything flexes it might start. But I guess the case metal will also expand a bit when it's hot, right?

On another note, on the motor there's a threaded hole which appears to be where you'd screw something in to lock down the connector for the stator. I'm using a Cycle Electric 3phase unit which attaches a bit different. The question is really that if you put something in that hole it really looks as though it will create a clearance problem with the inner primary. Any recommendation?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:12 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes that hole,usually 2 holes,is to clamp the connector from the alternator.Funny I am looking for a 28 tooth comp sprocket and thought you were asking about that.Dog

Old 02-10-2008, 11:17 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

Yeah, except on my other motors the holes are "inside" behind the stator/rotor assembly. This one is on the outside of the case. Looking through the hole I can see the stator plug. It wouldn't be a problem except the darn thing sit so close to the inner primary that any screw head will prevent the inner primary (chrome or stock oem) from tightening down I think.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If it's a new R&R motor, have you asked them? What do they say?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:04 AM
lrntowrench
Cruiser

They weren't open over the weekend when I was doing the work. I've since had confirmation that the hole is for a set screw on the S&S case. A 10-24x3/8 set screw worked, though it's not perfect because the cycle electric 3phase connector inside is "soft" so I'm a little concerned about it (the set screw) staying in place.