Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Wierd Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:08 PM
OldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd Clutch Problem

Guys: Just rebuilt my 97 RK clutch; new everything. I alsohave the White Bro EZ pull thing on the cable arm. I've finally got the bike where I can ride it, but I've had to turn the adjusting screw in an addtional 3/4 turn after contacting the push rod. I feel that if I took off the EZ pull I could get enuff throw without the preload. Does it take some miles for a new clutch to wear in?? The overall thickness of the clutch pack is within spec. I also soaked the fiber disc b4 assembly. Any thoughts/experiences would be most appreciated.

Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wierd Clutch Problem

If you have turned in the adj screw after making contact, you are eliminating any free travel on your release bearing. That's like riding with the clutch partially engaged all the time and slipping may occur and your release bearing will not last long. I just had to rebuild my 96 ECG clutch; the steel dampener spring plates let go. I am putting a EZ clutch on my wife's 01 EGC trike. Did you add the spacer to the outside of the cable shield? There is a thread in here re: the trouble with that adjustment. It stated that 'almost' no free travel was necessary, but not pre-load.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2798617/tm.htm EZ Clutch install

Read the two links. Yours may have a contact problem inside the cover.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: Lil Truckr

Yesterday me and my riding buddy spent over 2 hours trying to get the aftermarket 'Reduced Effort Clutch Kit' that I purchased from J&P to work. It took almost a hour just to get it to fit inside the clutch housing. We had to grind the locking cable holder part in order for the end of the clutch cable to slip past it and lock into the shoe. Then after we finally managed to get the side cover reattached we discovered we were unable to properly adjust the clutch. We tried everything we could think of to adjust the clutch but ended removing the kit and puttin the clutch back to stock. Talk about frustrating...I should have know better to trust something aftermarket. I had the original Harley kit, 36808-05, on order from Charlies HD but it was back-ordered so I got impatient and ordered an alternative kit from J&P. Now I'm sittin with a kit that won't work as I continue to wait for the back-ordered ones to arrive...
[/blockquote]

I understand you are frustrated and pissed off...But maybe you gave up on the white bros kit prematurely. Did you consult anyone on the forums before you gave up?...Cuz if I'd have seen this I think I could have helped you with that clutch adjustment. You CANNOT use the method detailed in the service manual. The procedure is the same but youdo not back the stop bolt out so far as it is detailed for a stock clutch. I found after much experimentation that 1/4 of one turn was perfect. Clutch action is smooth, disengages fully and releases progressively. I've been running it for the past three or four years with the SE high pressure diaphragm spring and this setup works great. More clutch grip with 30% less lever effort than stock.

I previously suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome and in big city stop and go traffic I'd get cramping in my left wrist...and I've always lubed all my cables.

------------------------------------------------

This is the adjustment thread I was trying to find.

Good Luck.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:29 PM
OldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem!! Diaphram spring was not perfectly centered.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:30 AM
FLGEEZ
Road Master

OldDog,

How much free travel have you left at the center adj screw? Did your's require any grinding mod?

An informed world is a better world.

Mine simply would not release after the initial dragging began.

Price

[IMG]local://upfiles/17522/EAFC92CD43E64BC8AEBF228FF3BD18D0.jpg[/IMG]