Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Final drivebelt tracking issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Final drivebelt tracking issues

ORIGINAL: I CUT 1

Well after riding here and there, to work a few days, to the store, and going by what some of you cats have to say about the issue, what tha hell. It still has me scratchn' tho. I've played around old farm equipment for years, belting up old haybailers, grist mills, cane presses, etc. and these units can be up to 30 feet apart from their power sourceand at all kind of angles. I've never run across anything like what I've seen on my bike. For that matter, after being in the industrial maintenance field for 20 years, I've never seen a belt track both to the insideandout buy changing directions no matter what type of belt being used.
Anyway, this is a new one on me and I guess I'll have to put her back on the lift and figure it out to my understandings. Think I'll even put the stock wheel and pully back on to see if there's any differance. I'll probably be chasing my tail, but I GOTSTA KNOW.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49112/02653F690E7C4F398694E7316F68EBA2.jpg[/IMG]
It's got to do with face angles on the pulleys. They are square and almost impossible to have two square to each other all the time with varying loads. If the pulleys had a crown in them at belt centerline then nuetral tracking could be achieved but this would cause more wear and tear on the belt ,plus it's too narrow to be practical. The easiest solution is to capture the belt on thesides of the pulley. No crown on the pulley is basically why it behaves like it does. Machining may be different on the new sprocket as well and your belt has worn to the old one causing an uneven pressure across the belt at the new sprocket.
Ron