Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Transmission offset install with 250 kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:39 PM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transmission offset install with 250 kit

Ok ive been researching the "wide tire" thing for about 5 nites straight now and i think im going to go with the heartland kit. After reading DickGrayson's post on him doing his own im pretty confident in myself and my wrenching buddies that we can handle it. However the only thing that makes me a little hesitant is the transmission offset. Has anyone out there ever installed the full kit themselves that can tell me exactly what goes into it and how hard it really is or if its just "that" part of the job that scares people away from doing it themselves. With the winter here i have nothing but time so its not like ill be missing on riding time. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 12-02-2007, 04:11 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Transmission offset install with 250 kit

I'm helping a buddyput a 240 tyre on his Evo softail. Wehave just got to the transmission offset part which is basically a new mounting plate to move it 25mm to the primary side. The inner primary casewill have a spacer installed between it and the crank case and a 25mm longer compensator fitted. There are other odds and ends to sort but that is about it for the offset. I've not done this mod before but am finding it straight forward so far. The fender horns need to be cut off and the new swinging arm installed, then the wheel fitted with spacers to align the pulley and the rotor.

Good luck

Old 12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
retep2281
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks but what about replacing the gear in the transmission and the new rod. Are you going to have to redo that on his evo. please let me know if you have done this. By looking at the pics in the parts list id doesnt look like there are that many parts so i dont forsee this being that difficult. But hey some people cant even pump gas.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:56 PM
tobyhd1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You`ll need to get(borrow/whatever )a mainshaft gear remover/installation tool.As far as the longer rod goes,just slide it in.Adjust accordingly.Toby

Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Oilslick
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: retep2281

Thanks but what about replacing the gear in the transmission and the new rod. Are you going to have to redo that on his evo. please let me know if you have done this. By looking at the pics in the parts list id doesnt look like there are that many parts so i dont forsee this being that difficult. But hey some people cant even pump gas.
Thegearbox (transmission)is moved over to the left as a complete assembly. It didn't need to be dismantled at all. It's done using the new offset mounting plate.

I think that some kits use a longer output shaft and a spacer which would mean dismantling the transmission.

Anyhow, we have just assembled the primary side now and tried the new swing arm and wheel to measure up for spacers. All seems to line up pretty good.