Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch basket wobbling??

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007 | 04:53 PM
BGHV65
|
Cruiser
Default Clutch basket wobbling??

Today, after I pulled the primary cover off and took the clutches out, I turned thetransmission mainshaft and the clutch basket had a very distinct wobble to it, it even caused the primary chain to wobble. The pinion and clutch basket are all tight. Could the wobble be caused by a bad bearing?? I hope I am describing this right, as I rotated the trans. mainshaft, the clutch basket (without clutches) movedas if it was warped (clutch basket doesn't turn).Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not? I wouldn't think it would be a good thing and may be why my seal is leaking?? I really appreciate any ideas or advice, thanks!

Old 11-19-2007 | 03:20 AM
darkside
Banned
Default RE: Clutch basket wobbling??

I'd pull it all down and check the mainshaft to see if its bent.Then the basket and go from there.It should run true .

Old 11-19-2007 | 06:45 AM
BGHV65
|
Cruiser

Thanks Darkside, that's the plan once I get everything apart. I just wonder how this could happen in normal riding? I haven't abused the bike at all and this may be why I started having an oil leak either in the mainshaft seal or shift seal. Anyone else with any ideas, please chime in.

Old 11-19-2007 | 11:21 PM
lilmike9
Intermediate

I agree, I'm not sure how the main shaft could be warped but anythings possible. If its turning out of round then a leak is for sure. I would also inspect the bearing for uneven wear.

Old 11-20-2007 | 12:23 PM
03dragonRK
Road Master

I am new to this forum, butI have been riding and wrenching on bikes for 40 years so here's my 2 cents worth. Last year onthe first day of our ride to Alaska atabout 150 miles from homemy bike lost speed - felt like I had lost the drive belt. Turned out that the clutch hub bearing went out and took out all the splines in the clutch hub. I run an M6 auto primary chain adjuster anda HDservice manager told me that HD has a servicenotice on the HD auto adjusters telling them to replace the clutch hub bearing every 30,000 miles so that may be why mine went out. I would check the bearing and look at your hub splines for wear. Also check the inner race bearing as mine moved into the tranny seal and last years replacment did the same. A real pain to remove so I am going to switch to the Baker high torque sealed bearing and do away with the inner race.

Old 11-20-2007 | 04:37 PM
granddad
Intermediate

Same thing with 2001 road king. Almost ready to tear it down, found out the basket was moving on the shaft. The shaft and bearing were just fine. Just a sloppy fit between the basket and shaft.