Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Super Spoke Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007 | 10:50 AM
MikesWideGlide98
|
Intermediate
Default Super Spoke Pulley

Thought I would share my experience and hopefully save someone else some time, money, and headache. I am in the process of changing out my rims, tires, brakes, axles, and pulley. I purchased the super spoke pulley from J&P cycles part number 601-904. It said it will fit all models 2000-2005 (except for a couple like the FLT). When I opened the package and placed it next to the stocker I realized it did not have a spacer. When i questioned J&P about it they had no idea, they said it doesnt need a spacer and should bolt right on. Obviously that wasnt going to work. I called another company (american wire wheels) and asked about their super spoke pulley, which looks just like the J&P one except $300 more.

They told me that normally their pulley's do not require a spacer but there was a mistake made during machining and an additional 1/4 inch was shaved off the pulley. So AWW is shipping their pulley's with spacers but not the hardware to mount the spacer.

I would really like to run this pulley, but i do not want to put a spacer between the pulley and the rim so i am going to get one from Harley that matches one of their six spoke rims. I think it looks good and should hopefully be machined properly. And if not, I'll let the dealer get hassled with the return. (my local dealer is very nice)

Well I hope this helps someone, and if not, its a good lesson to check the part against the stocker and also proves how nice it would be to have a giant motorcycle supplier right here in town.