Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:10 PM
ndrag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary seal replacement

2002 ElectraGlide Classic. OK guys, how hard a job is it to replace the inner and outer primary seals? $360.00 at the stealership! Any "special tools" needed, thanks in advance. John

Old 10-02-2007, 05:59 PM
gunnert
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Primary seal replacement

If you are careful, you don't need special tools. The outer/inner primaries and internals need to be removed, compensator nut/Clutch basket/primary chain.... There is a large snap ring holding the inner primary bearing in. I mention this because Baker has a seal/bearing kit that should stop repeated leaks.

The inner primary has seal (that is what I'm talkin about above). I don't know about an outer seal?

Invest in a service manual ($50), read the procedures, then make a decision. Oh yea, I wouldn't try removing a compensator nut without an air tool. I have guys tell me they did it and I'm sure they did....

Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 PM
ndrag
Intermediate

Thanks Gunnert for the response. Have the manual, have air tools. Will read the manual, I have noticed the manual is not real clear on some of the jobs,pictures etc. Maybe its just me, been a car mechanic for 30 years! Who is Baker? I definitaly want to get a seal that does not leak! I bought this bike to ride, not work on.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
BigMoHog
Intermediate

There is also a seal for the jackshaft on the inner primary, you need to replace this too. I boughtthe seals from the stealer, I noticed that the new seals were double seals,whereas the old seals from the factory were single, I guess that harleyknew this was going to happen.I have done this on my glide, it is not hard, but you need to take your time and watch what you are doing. You will need something to lock the chain in place while you take the compensator and clutch nuts loose. Jim's makes a nice tool for this, it looks like a small set of steps. The clutch nut is left handed, keep this in mind. One of the nuts is an oddball size. Your best bet is to get the parts book along with the service manual.
Good luck.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is definately do-able, especially if you have the manual and are a good wrench. A lift is needed.
Plan on at least 1/2 day start to finish, if it is the first time.
Removing the stator/rotor is the most aggrivating part. The HD tool works but you can do the same thing with a steering wheel puller and a piece of PVC pipe.