Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

six speed trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 12:47 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Default RE: six speed trans

ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000
If you don't mind my asking, what did you pay for the total job, tranny and install?
Sent PM.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6335/1081A513B21548C9864DCEE134DDD9C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-13-2007 | 01:29 PM
Joe Wagner
Intermediate

let's see SE gearset is 90 day to a year warranty varies dealer to dealer Bakers is 5 year warranty

Old 12-10-2007 | 08:39 PM
mtdave2
Cruiser

i did the revtech 6 speed.love it. the baker i think is the best trany to get, but if you are trying to save a buck like i was, the revtech is a great choice

here is the link to the post on my revtech
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1921866/tm.htm

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:04 PM
donk_316
Road Master

Revtech is korean or somecrap like that... Been told repeatedly to stay away from their products.

Old 12-10-2007 | 09:33 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: donk_316

Revtech is korean or somecrap like that... Been told repeatedly to stay away from their products.
I would not have a bike without a 6 speed unless you gear it up for the open road only. Than you do not need one. I have 2 rev-tech for a few years (circumstances). No problems in them.
[ol][*]I also have Spyke in my bagger.[*]I have a 100 ci hotted rev-tech in my ridged with the higher gear ratio .893:1 .[*]I put the lower (8.6:1) one in my FXR, which has a 113 TP. I am going to raise the primary ration as the bike weighs less than 500 lbs.[*]The bagger uses a 124 S&S w/8.6:1 spyke.
[/ol]It is very important to size your gear ration to the power of the motor. I have heard that the Rev-Teck are not good quality and have a higher coefficient of friction than the other trans. I do not know as I have had no problems. As far as a install goes, contact me at my site or post your year and model here. If you look under my <2002 swingarm upgrade, you will se how it is done if you are changing out the case (complete trans).

It is easier to just buy the gears. I have popped in a Softail 6 speed into a bagger trans with no problems. I have seen the gear sets go for as little as $600/new. I do not recommend anything as I am not a knowledgeable driveline person. I do know how to take em' apart and change them out. As far as time goes, to change a complete trans including housing should take no more than 6 hours by me who is not a mechanic & who does not do it every day. I screw off too much in compairson to a real machanic.

Old 12-21-2007 | 11:13 PM
slowhand96
Stage IV

Hi Everybody!

Brand new newbie here, just registered now. I've been looking for a decent Harley forum for a while and it looks like I found one. I lurked for about 10 minutes then decided to join. I've been a member of the badweb (buell) forum for a while due to a recent addiction to flogging the hell out of a buell blast.

Something Fast Harley just mentioned has prompted to ask a question. He wrote ". I have popped in a Softail 6 speed into a bagger trans with no problems." Does anyone here have any expertise with Harley transmissions? I've asked dealerships, independant shops, and even managed to get through to a Revtech tech to ask this question and NO ONE has been able to give me an answer. The revtech guy more or less said that almost anything would fit anything, it boils down to getting things like neutral sensors, spedo adapters, and speed sensor spacers, trap doors etc to make it work correctly. Is this true?

What is the difference in Harley Transmissions through the 90's up to 2006? I see overdrive kits for 90 to 2006 dynas and touring. 90 to 98 dynas and touring, some for just dynas, 2001 to 2006 touring, etc. No one offers a case for the 99 and 2000, Some companies kits are for dynas and touring, some not, some include the 99 and 2000 some dont. The overlaps and exclusion are confusing and hard to figure out. Why I'm trying to figure this out is that I had a chance to buy a Screamin' Eagle six speed transmission in a case for a Dyna, for a GREAT price, with the thought of taking the gears out of the case and putting them into my 2000 Road King. Would this have worked? What is the difference between the Dyna trans and the touring trans or the soft tail trans for that matter. What changed to make the 99 and 2000 different from the 98 and down or the 2001 and up?

Old 12-22-2007 | 12:42 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: slowhand96

Hi Everybody!

Brand new newbie here, just registered now. I've been looking for a decent Harley forum for a while and it looks like I found one. I lurked for about 10 minutes then decided to join. I've been a member of the badweb (buell) forum for a while due to a recent addiction to flogging the hell out of a buell blast.

Something Fast Harley just mentioned has prompted to ask a question. He wrote ". I have popped in a Softail 6 speed into a bagger trans with no problems." Does anyone here have any expertise with Harley transmissions? I've asked dealerships, independant shops, and even managed to get through to a Revtech tech to ask this question and NO ONE has been able to give me an answer. The revtech guy more or less said that almost anything would fit anything, it boils down to getting things like neutral sensors, spedo adapters, and speed sensor spacers, trap doors etc to make it work correctly. Is this true?

What is the difference in Harley Transmissions through the 90's up to 2006? I see overdrive kits for 90 to 2006 dynas and touring. 90 to 98 dynas and touring, some for just dynas, 2001 to 2006 touring, etc. No one offers a case for the 99 and 2000, Some companies kits are for dynas and touring, some not, some include the 99 and 2000 some dont. The overlaps and exclusion are confusing and hard to figure out. Why I'm trying to figure this out is that I had a chance to buy a Screamin' Eagle six speed transmission in a case for a Dyna, for a GREAT price, with the thought of taking the gears out of the case and putting them into my 2000 Road King. Would this have worked? What is the difference between the Dyna trans and the touring trans or the soft tail trans for that matter. What changed to make the 99 and 2000 different from the 98 and down or the 2001 and up?
I am a little confused due to my inability to understand your question. Please tell me what gear set you wish to put into your 2000 FL. I just put in a softail non tapered shaft without keyway into a 2001. I work on suspension but on my own bike, I have done this. Again, I am no expert and there is many other people who are more qualified than me. I have never worked on HD 6 speed stuff. I will ask people who do this for a living if you so wish & give you the right answer if you provide me the specifications you desire....H You may call me toll free, e-mail or PM also if you like and if it is time critical.

Old 12-22-2007 | 09:37 AM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior

The independant shop I use told me that the Rev Tech install requires quite a bit of case modification. They say that the Baker is the best but the Ultima is a good unit too for alot less money.

Old 12-22-2007 | 10:58 AM
slowhand96
Stage IV

"I just put in a softail non tapered shaft without keyway into a 2001" Tapered shafts, non tapered shafts, keyways... this is the stuff I wish I knew. I guess the answers I am looking for are:

1, what is unique about the 2000 RK transmission that you see lots of kits (complete transmissions or gearsets) for 98 down and 2001 up?

2, What modifications do I have to do to get a 98-down or 2001-up gear set to fit into my 2000 housing?

3, Can a 2001 complete transmission be modified to fit a 2000 or can the 2000 be modified to accept a complete 2001 or newer Transmission?

I've looked at the Ultima Trans but I don't think they have or list a kit for a 2000 touring bike. Ultimately I would like to get my hands on a SE six speed. I like that they kept the low first gear (everybody else has gone with the close ratio) and my Roadking generally becomes the "pack mule" hauling camping gear and supplies whenever we hit the road.

FastHarley... would a 2001 transmission case help with the rear fork (swingarm) improvement you show on your site? Great site by the way, I'm already budgeting for your kit and a new rear rim. A HID light will be next.

Thanks everybody!
Chuck

Old 12-22-2007 | 03:16 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

I did it and had no problems. I do not think I will take out the trannie & show it to you in steps so you are going to have to just take my word on it. Straight bolt together. Na screw it, I’m pulling the trannie and will show you the results. I just took these photos and both are mine. BTW, the bottom (well both but you can not see the shaft on my Hardtail) trans is a non-Tapered output shaft.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/3BD1B22E203D4D0FAF672E6943812E84.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/9EB363D878D249F28E7CD32EB7A608FB.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: six speed trans