Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Gear noise?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 10:49 AM
TheOtherBob
|
4th Gear
Default Gear noise?

My 2020 Ultra Limited has developed some gear noise. It started at this spring at 15K miles, right after getting the 15K service done. I'm now at 19K miles, and it's still doing it. The noise occurs in 3rd gear between 2700-2800 rpm, and in 4th gear between 2200-2300 rpm. It is a whine that sounds closer to a high pitched moan more than something like a dentist's drill. The noise is not there until the bike really gets hot, say 50 miles or more. It can be moderate, but sometimes gets really loud. I rode around the other day until those noise showed up, then had a Harley certified mechanic take it out for a test ride. I told him I had transmission noise; he came back and said he originally suspected bearing noise based on my description, but after riding it he says it's definitely gear noise. Has anyone else encountered this, and if so - how did you address it? I don't look forward to a discussion / argument with the ESP folks, so the more info / ammo I have before they get involved, the better.

1.) I've ridden 150K miles between five Harleys and never heard any noise like this before. Is it something to worry about?
2.) What could cause it, especially with it happening only in two gears and it needing the bike to be hot before it occurs?
3.) If this has happened on your bike, if you got it addressed... what was it, and what fixed it?

Thanks for any / all input!

Old Yesterday | 10:55 AM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Did they put oil back in the trans and primary at the 15k service?

The following users liked this post:
jake24lt (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:20 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 702
Did they put oil back in the trans and primary at the 15k service?
I was thinking that but didn't want to say it. Is it possible that they used a different type/ brand oil in the primary and or transmission? I would definitely check levels first step, then see if you can find out if the fluid is different.

Old Yesterday | 11:42 AM
KK0G
Tourer

You say it started right after getting the 15,000 mile service done which I assume means you took it to a shop for that? Does right after mean it did it immediately upon picking it up from them or some amount of time afterward? My first thought is the same as 702's, what oil did they put in? How much did they put in? Did they put any in at all?

Old Yesterday | 10:32 PM
TheOtherBob
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by KK0G
You say it started right after getting the 15,000 mile service done which I assume means you took it to a shop for that? Does right after mean it did it immediately upon picking it up from them or some amount of time afterward? My first thought is the same as 702's, what oil did they put in? How much did they put in? Did they put any in at all?
I had our local HD dealership do the service. The noise started immediately thereafter. I checked the transmission fluid after the first ride it happened. The fluid was a little low - just below the "add fluid" line. It took 4 oz. to top it off to just below the "full line", but that made no difference in the noise. I didn't think of checking the primary fluid, as the noise only affects 3rd and 4th gear - I would have thought that if the primary fluid was low it would affect all six gears. But I can check that...

As to the other question, they put in HD Syn 3 in all three holes - engine, transmission and primary. It was then recommended that I drain the HD transmission fluid and replace it Lucas t to see if it would quiet the noise... it didn't. It changed the pitch of the noise a little, that was about it.

Old Today | 03:50 PM
Sparkules
Tourer

In my post “Primary Bearing?” below, #13, I included a recording of my noise, is this like yours? From others with a primary bearing failure seems that would be a lower pitch growl than the whine I get. My noise is more like an old school gear driven cam in a small block Chevy V8, a definite whine.

Old Today | 04:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Getting worse when it gets hot makes me think it is a bearing.

When hot, engine running, clutch lever pulled in, do you hear the noise?

Drop the transmission into 1st gear, does the noise stop?

Old Today | 06:49 PM
TheOtherBob
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Getting worse when it gets hot makes me think it is a bearing.

When hot, engine running, clutch lever pulled in, do you hear the noise?

Drop the transmission into 1st gear, does the noise stop?

The noise only happens while in gear. If you pull the clutch, the noise stops. The noise only happens in 3rd gear from 2700-2800 rpm and in 4th gear from 2200-2300 rpm. No other gears, no other rpms. And as noted, only when the engine is hot... at least 50 miles in to a ride, sometimes more.

Old Today | 06:55 PM
TheOtherBob
|
4th Gear

I haven't been able to find the recording you mentioned.

Old Today | 07:00 PM
TheOtherBob
|
4th Gear

OK, I found the clip, and no - that's nothing like the noise I'm getting. Mine does not change pitch, and it is a lot more "full bodied".