Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Baker Armored Attitude adjuster. Primary now sounds noisy

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2024 | 07:02 PM
David Herman
|
Advanced
Default Baker Armored Attitude adjuster. Primary now sounds noisy

I installed the Baker Armored Attitude chain tensioner this weekend. Of course I had to pull the compensator.
I got it all back together. Compensator bolt torqued to 175 . Bike is 16 RGS, 19k for mileage. Rolled the chain and observed the tight spots and adjusted the chain at the tightest spot at 0.75 inches. Locked up the adjuster and put the cover back on and filled it with Redline. Primary has much more noise than before. Almost gravely, but not quite.
Almost like a bad compensator. What I did NOT note was that I maybe should have scribed index marks on the comp to get the wear surfaces back together the same way. I'm guessing that's whats making the primary louder, but im not positive. Shifts well, no clunks on start up or shut down, etc. It's just more noisy.
My only other guess is that the tensioner shoe needs to wear in, or its the fact that the chain has more slack now.... Just want to get some input on it. Thx

Old 10-15-2024 | 07:25 AM
dynoking
Cruiser
Veteran: Navy

Maybe talk to Baker?

The following users liked this post:
Architect (10-15-2024)
Old Yesterday | 09:19 PM
David Herman
|
Advanced

Well, i opened up the primary after work today and had a good look at everything. Chain tension was spot on, everything was still tight. Checked the comp bolt at 150 so I didn't disturb the loctite, and it was definitely all of 150. Still at 175 for sure.
All looked good, so i buttoned it up and put my old standby Rotella t4 15w40 conventional in the primary.
Everything is fine in primary land again. It's quiet, clutch works well, neutral is an easy click, shifts well.....
Maybe it didn't like the Redline with the Baker setup... who knows....lol

Last edited by David Herman; Yesterday at 09:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
brakeless (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 11:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

3/4" is a lot of play for a tight spot. Get into that game I split the difference between the two extremes. Not a lot of room in these newer machines, chain slap is a thing with them.