Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Sound like primary chain is skipping

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 04:44 PM
Stephenson377
|
1st Gear
Default Sound like primary chain is skipping

Hi Everyone. My name is Stephen and I own a 2012 Road king 103 6 speed.

I found a few similar threats but didn't get enough info out. Everything starts little by little. Bike started like compensator is skipping. I replaced spring behind the compensator for the heavy duty one. Check the tensioner and tight it to the spec of 1/2 inch chain play. Put everything back together but nothing changed. I've order compensator eliminator and installed it today, adjust the tensioner to 1/2 chain play and went for the test ride. It's a little bit better but still doing it and plus start having the clicking noise when dropping the gas.

Pretty much what is happening. During hard acceleration 1st and 2nd gear acting like it's skipping the gear teeth or chain teeth with (clicking/cracking/snapping) noise. While the eliminator is installed and stock chain tensioner is adjusted tight. Any ideas what it could be. Plus when dropping the gas got clicking/cracking noise from primary. Tensioner looks ok and in order.

Old Yesterday | 05:39 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member

I see the key words - STOCK CHAIN TENSIONER. How nice and thoughtful of the MoCo to come up with maintenance free automatic primary chain tensioner! In reality, the unit ratchets tighter, and tighter, and tighter. AND before ya know it, primary noises. Pull the clutch and check the bearings, 99% sure that's the problem. Personally, I'm using a Hayden self adjusting tensioner. Updated that on my 07 back in 2010. It comes with 2 shims for correct chain freeplay and I have not had to touch it yet . . . at 107,000 miles.

Old Yesterday | 05:53 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

This question looks just like the one I saw in the touring section...