Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

94 dyna trans problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 06:54 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,395 Likes on 5,003 Posts

The kit for the transmission sprocket hardware upgrade is PN 40210-85D.

Here is the service bulletin that covered this issue.

Link to Service Bulletin J00092

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 08-05-2024 at 06:55 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yankee Dog (08-05-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 01:29 PM
MWells
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
Post a pic of the 5th gear/drive gear splines. I'm sure that is toast as well. Pulling the gear set/trap door is in order for the repair. You can home brew the pulling tools for the 5th gear/main drive gear. You will need a new 5th gear main drive gear (35029-91A), (get one that has the small cage bearings and wedding band seal already installed). Also a new main drive gear bearing, C-clip, and the mother of all C-clip pliers. Don't use made in China parts.

In addition will be a new pulley, spacer, and all related seals INCLUDING the quad seal (easily forgotten seal). Inner primary bearing and seal, C clips, shift shaft seal, trans cover gasket (use the aluminum/foam style), primary cover gasket. You also need the large O-ring that goes on the engine before installing the inner primary (near the stator). I'm probably missing a few other items but had a few beers over at the neighbors so whatever...

Oh yeah, new pulley nut and locking plate with new bolts. Get most of your parts from the dealer. including the belt. The only thing I did not get from dealer was the actual pulley and 5th gear MDG. Bought Andrews MDG and pulley from an independent dealer. Spacer was a Baker from the same indy. Upgrade to the larger diameter spacer and matching pulley and seal. There used to be an upgrade kit that came with the pulley, spacer, seal, nut and locking plate. Not sure if still available

When you start looking for parts you will see what I'm talking about regarding pre and post 94. Pre 94 was smaller and failure prone, so harley came up with a larger diameter spacer and pulley to compensate for the weak point. Pulley teeth count remained the same. You want the larger diameter set up.

There are some threads with all the part number you will need or someone will post them for you. If not, I can find the numbers for you at a later time. There is a trap door puller on ebay that goes for about 25 bucks that works well and is well worth the purchase price.

Sorry if I'm bouncing around, as I mentioned, had a few and these are just the random things I remember when I was in your shoes. That's all I have for now.
Ain't nothing wrong with some extra beers man I appreciate the knowledge this stuff gets to expensive making mistakes I just want to do it once and get on the road. I guess finding a inner primary is nearly impossible. I'm going to get a parts list together and run it by u all make sure I don't miss nothing. I half *** measure my splines I got 1.7". I looked them up to 1.69. Is there any chance they are alright?

Old 08-06-2024, 01:30 PM
MWells
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The kit for the transmission sprocket hardware upgrade is PN 40210-85D.

Here is the service bulletin that covered this issue.

Link to Service Bulletin J00092
Very much appreciated

Old 08-06-2024, 01:35 PM
MWells
Intermediate

Ill post pic of the splines this evening

Old 08-06-2024, 05:15 PM
MWells
Intermediate
Old 08-06-2024, 05:27 PM
MWells
Intermediate

I got 1.7 with a micrometer and I think the splines look ok but IDK about the two big marks right where the seal rides. I know it's not from me so what would someone have been doing to make those marks? Now Im a little frustrated the splines look ok to me but I feel like the deal will leak or wear out on that cut mark might as well get a shaft any way!! Another thing I've had in back of my mind, I cut the nut that holds the pulley on the one that you need the $250 socket for, I thought about getting it together and taking it to the shop having them tighten it but I bet they will charge me close to that ?!?!?!

Old 08-06-2024, 06:04 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,043 Likes on 1,031 Posts

There always the option of buying a complete used gear set, but you will still need to replace that 5th gear main drive gear and bearing.

Your mainshaft has cuts in it from somebody using a Dremel cut off wheel to cut the pressed on inner primary bearing sleeve. A new bearing sleeve will probably cover those cuts.

The 5th gear main drive gear threads are messed up and the splines don't look great but removing the spacer will give you a better idea of what new splines look like. There are splines under that shiny metal spacer that have been untouched. Remove the metal spacer and you will be able to compare what the new unworn portion of the splines look like compared to the splines that come in contact with the pulley splines. Regardless, you should just go and replace the 5th gear main drive gear and bearing. DO NOT POUND IT OUT. It needs to be pulled out with a threaded rod puller. Homemade ones are posted on this website with a little searching.

The 1-7/8 pulley nut socket can be picked up for pretty cheap on amazon or ebay. Not high quality, but good enough for a few uses. A 1-7/8 socket that has been cut and welded onto a piece of pipe has removed many pulley nuts over the years.

Then there is the inner primary issue. Yes, finding one is going to be a challenge. Maybe aftermarket. Pretty sure the part number is 60681-94 but double check that. 60681-94a will work with minor modification (drill and tap a hole in a raised boss).

I would start with trying to find a replacement inner primary because that will be the toughest to find and an expensive part. Good luck hunting.

EDIT: Unless you pulled a sleeve off the shaft that has the two cuts in it, then you probably had a baker high torque bearing (or similar) set up in place. Looking at you inner primary pic it kind of looks like the Baker set up. Take a look at some online parts diagrams and post a closer pic of the area on the inner primary that is all chewed up. I am curious.

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 08-06-2024 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:06 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

If it's not too late you may want to consider replacing the sprocket with a larger one. It drops your hwy cruising rpms just enough to make a difference. Did it on my '93 and it loves cruising at 80mph now.

Old 08-06-2024, 06:27 PM
MWells
Intermediate

Originally Posted by brakeless
If it's not too late you may want to consider replacing the sprocket with a larger one. It drops your hwy cruising rpms just enough to make a difference. Did it on my '93 and it loves cruising at 80mph now.
I'd like to what size did u get I want it to be the stronger one too if I can find it but I havent looked for that yet I'm stressing about the other stuff

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 06:36 PM
MWells
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Yankee Dog
There always the option of buying a complete used gear set, but you will still need to replace that 5th gear main drive gear and bearing.

Your mainshaft has cuts in it from somebody using a Dremel cut off wheel to cut the pressed on inner primary bearing sleeve. A new bearing sleeve will probably cover those cuts.

The 5th gear main drive gear threads are messed up and the splines don't look great but removing the spacer will give you a better idea of what new splines look like. There are splines under that shiny metal spacer that have been untouched. Remove the metal spacer and you will be able to compare what the new unworn portion of the splines look like compared to the splines that come in contact with the pulley splines. Regardless, you should just go and replace the 5th gear main drive gear and bearing. DO NOT POUND IT OUT. It needs to be pulled out with a threaded rod puller. Homemade ones are posted on this website with a little searching.

The 1-7/8 pulley nut socket can be picked up for pretty cheap on amazon or ebay. Not high quality, but good enough for a few uses. A 1-7/8 socket that has been cut and welded onto a piece of pipe has removed many pulley nuts over the years.

Then there is the inner primary issue. Yes, finding one is going to be a challenge. Maybe aftermarket. Pretty sure the part number is 60681-94 but double check that. 60681-94a will work with minor modification (drill and tap a hole in a raised boss).

I would start with trying to find a replacement inner primary because that will be the toughest to find and an expensive part. Good luck hunting.

EDIT: Unless you pulled a sleeve off the shaft that has the two cuts in it, then you probably had a baker high torque bearing (or similar) set up in place. Looking at you inner primary pic it kind of looks like the Baker set up. Take a look at some online parts diagrams and post a closer pic of the area on the inner primary that is all chewed up. I am curious.
Well if I understand I can pull that shaft without disassabling the whole transmission? I was a little concerned about that. I am willing to tackle that it's just a little more than I was expecting. Also I have a very good eye the threads are junk I didn't notice that either very valuable wisdom knowing what to look for. I have that on Chevy trucks not so much on Harley's yet getting there tho

Quick Reply: 94 dyna trans problem