Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Sudden Hard Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 03:43 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackie Paper
Put Harley Formual + in primary and transmission next time. And if you have a stock diaphragm spring clutch, set the back off to at least 1/2 turn.

You get that Harley really hot in hot weather and your going to fry that throw out bearing.

You can get away with that on a front pusher like a Sportster but not on a long push rod cruser.

Where did you see 1/8 back off?
It's been working fine for quite a while with the current fluids. The B&M primary fluid is what Energy One recommends. I've also been running with the adjustment at 1/8th out for lots of miles and just confirmed by inspection everything's okay.

Old 08-27-2024, 03:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,943 Likes on 4,028 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
It's been working fine for quite a while with the current fluids. The B&M primary fluid is what Energy One recommends. I've also been running with the adjustment at 1/8th out for lots of miles and just confirmed by inspection everything's okay.

You disassembled the clutch?

Old 08-27-2024, 03:45 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
In that case about all you can do is pull apart and inspect. Maybe try a lighter oil. 10w30? ATF? Try to lower the oil level in the primary?
The B&M Trick Shift seems pretty light and is fresh and at the level it's supposed to be. I guess I can taking a few ounces out...

Old 08-27-2024, 03:46 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

You disassembled the clutch?
Not this time. Didn't want to pull the cover.

Old 08-27-2024, 04:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

I dont recommend it all the time, but independent of the clutch, you should be able to “slick shift” or whatever the heck it is called. Do it in the mid gears. Bring it up to at least mid RPMs, and in one quick movement crisply back off the throttle, pull up on the shifter, then open throttle again. Without using clutch. If the tranny and linkages are all good and with a few tries, it should upshift pretty smoothly. If it shifts smoothly, ya got a clutch issue, If it doesn’t shift smoothly ya got a tranny issue.

i ride with a busted up left hand for a while, and this technique made it easier in my hand, and still put an additional 20K troublecfree miles on the M8 bike before selling..

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:45 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
Your not going to know the little throw out bearing is spinning all the time when it's hot. Harley list 1/2 to 1 turn.

Old 08-27-2024, 06:00 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Your not going to know the little throw out bearing is spinning all the time when it's hot. Harley list 1/2 to 1 turn.
Yeah but this isn't a Harley clutch is it? I've got it on good authority from a couple HD mechanics you can go as low as 1/8 to 1/16th turn out without burning anything up. This setup will not disengage at 1/2 to 1 full turn out. Even now with the larger 3/32" ball bearings in the ramp assy. And I have .100" lift. So the plates have to be separating you'd think.
Also, and this is mainly for Max, why do you think the friction plates are coming apart? Maybe at most only 1500 miles on the clutch. Wouldn't I feel something in the friction zone? When I dropped the fluid it was clear of debris. Only had what I considered the normal amount of metallic "glint" to it too.

Old 08-27-2024, 06:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,943 Likes on 4,028 Posts

Did you know that the muller clutch ramp instructions say to only back off 1/8 turn..

https://www.m-motorcycle.com/media/p.../120-40-EN.pdf

Wonder what is different. Seems to me that it has the same clearance as stock ramp.

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 07:03 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you know that the muller clutch ramp instructions say to only back off 1/8 turn..

Wonder what is different. Seems to me that it has the same clearance as stock ramp.
Pretty sure the only difference is with the shape and angle of the ramp sockets. That being said, I've increased my throw with my stock ramp by installing larger diameter ball bearings. I had a easy pull clutch in before and it definitely didn't work with that clutch setup. The easy pull just replaces lift for effort.

Old 08-27-2024, 07:13 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Interestingly, the logic makes no sense except that the ramp must be less angle then a Harley and reduces throw travel.

He could easly get .03 more by taking it from cable play. Heat doesn't affect it.

It needs the 1/8 to get the same amount as a Harley gets with 1/2 for stroke.

Issue I see is he's got one more fiber in there. I forget the pitch of that thread. Maybe 18 or 20.

If it's 20 threads , then the pitch is 0.050 and 1/8 of that is only 0.006

If 18 threads, it's 0.007.

Think he's got 11 fibers and 9 steels all stacked up. It would not surprise me that from room temperature to running temperature would grow that much.

Once it hits no play, your not going to notice it.

He says all is good however.

Guess I alway was over cautious in popping it in netural to keep from holding in clutch. And my last few year's riding, a day of riding fired up my old joints in my hand so bad, I had no choice but do it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-27-2024 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Sudden Hard Shifting