Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Sudden Hard Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 01:03 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,678 Likes on 2,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
So if you jack the back wheel up and rock it back and forth, does the tranny shift through the gears fine..

Have you thought about trying a new clutch pack..

When I build my 07 egc to 107, the clutch started slipping.. Frictions had about 50000 miles on them, stock plate count barnett kevlar. I replaced with a new set of frictions and the clutch stopped slipping. The bike became a lot easier to find neutral..

DId it shift hard before you did the clutch?

You say that you've measured the lift. Have you tried it at say the outer edge of the pressure plate and a few different points? Maybe it's not lifting straight?
This is a newish clutch pack with low miles. The pressure plate is flat too. Thanks for the suggestion on that.
I've come to the conclusion this bike just doesn't like this clutch. I never had a problem with the stock clutch. But I've had nothing but problems with the extra plate types. I'm seriously thinking of going back to stock! I could kick myself too for throwing out the stock set when we moved. LOL! But it was at it's wear limit.
I now have slept on it and came to the conclusion I'm doing Einstein's Theory of Insanity! So I readjusted the clutch pack to 1/16th turn out and it shifts like it did before! A mechanic on a different forum told me as long as the adjusting screw isn't touching it should be good. So I went and turned it in to where I felt resistance and backed it out about 3-4 flats on the Allen. In other words, it's touching at 12 o'clock and I backed it out to 11 o'clock (ish).
When the larger ball bearings for ramp arrive I'll pull that cover and inspect the throwout bearing.

Old 08-27-2024, 01:38 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

So going back to my shifting problem, it still doesn't make me happy. It feels like something catches when I shift. And every shift seems louder.
So here's what I did:
Replaced Primary and Transmission fluids. The level is correct.
Measured the Primary Chain twice at 4 different spots. Minimum is 5/8"
Adjusted the clutch 3 or 4 times. I'm currently at about 1/8th turn out with about 1/16" at the lever.
Inspected the Throw Out Bearing and installed 13/32" Ball Bearings in the ramp assy. I now have .100" lift on the pressure plate.
I'm baffled, it started all of a sudden and now seems to shift a little better when hot. But not like it did before.
So, looking for suggestions. Please don't tell me use different fluids because I've been running these for years with no problems.
B&M Trick Shift in the Primary and Redline Heavy Shockproof in the transmission.
I'm sure the clutch cable is good, it only has about 1500 miles on it.
More Primary fluid? Less? Tighter Chain? Oh, I have a manual adjuster BTW.
I pray it's nothing with the transmission. With the wheel off the ground and it not running it goes through the gears perfectly.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:03 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,943 Likes on 4,028 Posts

How had is it finding neutral when stopped?

If not so good, you may want to pull the clutch apart and inspect.. Possibly some part of one friction came loose?

Old 08-27-2024, 02:08 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

How had is it finding neutral when stopped?

If not so good, you may want to pull the clutch apart and inspect.. Possibly some part of one friction came loose?
Yeah that's never happened since day one after I installed that Energy One Extra Plate clutch. I just got used to hitting neutral from 2nd when rolling to a stop. I don't think anything came apart on the clutch. I'd feel it I think.

Old 08-27-2024, 02:51 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brakeless
Yeah that's never happened since day one after I installed that Energy One Extra Plate clutch. I just got used to hitting neutral from 2nd when rolling to a stop. I don't think anything came apart on the clutch. I'd feel it I think.
Unless you have a really strong motor, over 110/110, dump the E1 and install a stock plate count Barnett Kevlar.

The following users liked this post:
brakeless (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 03:12 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Unless you have a really strong motor, over 110/110, dump the E1 and install a stock plate count Barnett Kevlar.
Yeah as mentioned when I started this thread, I wish I never installed it. And to add insult to my own injury I tossed my stock clutch because it was nearly worn to it's limits.
Now a new clutch just isn't in the budget. Got a lot of other things going on.
I'd take a stock take off if I could get my hands on one.

Old 08-27-2024, 03:27 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by brakeless
Yeah as mentioned when I started this thread, I wish I never installed it. And to add insult to my own injury I tossed my stock clutch because it was nearly worn to it's limits.
Now a new clutch just isn't in the budget. Got a lot of other things going on.
I'd take a stock take off if I could get my hands on one.
Does the E1 plate kits use the judder damping spring? Pull the clutch apart and if it looks OK, remove the judder spring and seat. I'd prefer that you find any full width friction to replace the narrow one or move out one slot.. The inner friction runs against the inner hub which is aluminum..

Maybe find someone that's removed a stock clutch and steal a friction out of it..

Old 08-27-2024, 03:33 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Those are removed. I did the installation as per their instructions.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:d074baa4-c76e-4278-b498-a0dccac88e5c

BT14 (1).pdf

Last edited by brakeless; 08-27-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:39 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,970 Likes on 4,162 Posts

Put Harley Formual + in primary and transmission next time. And if you have a stock diaphragm spring clutch, set the back off to at least 1/2 turn.

You get that Harley really hot in hot weather and your going to fry that throw out bearing spinning it driving down the road.

You can get away with that on a front pusher like a Sportster but not on a long push rod cruser.

Where did you see 1/8 back off? And 1/2 turn back off is normal outside temperature. Not a hot setting.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 08-27-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2024, 03:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

In that case about all you can do is pull apart and inspect. Maybe try a lighter oil. 10w30? ATF? Try to lower the oil level in the primary?

Quick Reply: Sudden Hard Shifting