Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

73' Ironhead sportster clutch will not release.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024 | 10:04 AM
realrobd
|
4th Gear
Default 73' Ironhead sportster clutch will not release.

Not rebuilt by me but all new parts in clutch assembly.
No matter the depth of the clutch release adjustment screw, the plates will not disengage. The screw and the thrust collar are in perfect shape.
I've precisely measured the distance between the releasing disk and the outer drive plate (11/32). And when this didn't work, I increased the gap and tested. I did this several times, widening the gap a few 16ths at a time. And still no luck.
At some point, screwing the adjustment all the way in, bottom out, should force the plates to be released and even this doesn't happen.
It's design and function are so basic, but I'm a bit stumped.EDIT: Was reading another post that said "Even on an Ironhead with good working clutch you will have drag when you hold the clutch in and the engine is not running. "

Is this really the case that the clutch does not fully disengage while not running?

Last edited by realrobd; 04-23-2024 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-23-2024 | 02:56 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

i assume you are talking stack height.
if you are within the fsm range, then look at the spacer on the spring plate. a picture here would help since there are two types. over time, these spacers will mushroom and could bind on the stud or reduce height. new ones are easy to make.
sometimes when stopped, it will drag but after rolling, will loosen up but i never had that issue with my 74ch. i did have to make new spring spacers since my machine has nearly 200k. the clutch pack only replaced once.

Old 04-23-2024 | 03:26 PM
realrobd
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by bustert
i assume you are talking stack height.
if you are within the fsm range, then look at the spacer on the spring plate. a picture here would help since there are two types. over time, these spacers will mushroom and could bind on the stud or reduce height. new ones are easy to make.
sometimes when stopped, it will drag but after rolling, will loosen up but i never had that issue with my 74ch. i did have to make new spring spacers since my machine has nearly 200k. the clutch pack only replaced once.
I'm referring to the distance between the Releasing Disk and the Outer Drive Plate.
The picture is for illustration only, as it references the 6 spacers that are not stock on a 73', only 74' and later.
At this point I'll assume it's fine and check it while running, once I get the starter sorted.

Old 04-23-2024 | 07:20 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member

How does the clutch ramps look? If it a V-Twin replacement part, the ***** are too small and the clutch will never release. Needs 5/16" *****.

Old 04-24-2024 | 10:08 AM
realrobd
|
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
How does the clutch ramps look? If it a V-Twin replacement part, the ***** are too small and the clutch will never release. Needs 5/16" *****.
Ramps are fine, with a lift of about 5/16 or so. All parts are new.
Like I said above, I'll see how it performs once I get it running.