Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007 | 09:46 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer
Default Trans Leak

I have an 2003 Road King in which I use Redline Shockproof in the tranny. The other day I noticed some dirty red fluid on the floor of my garage. Put the bike up on the jack and noticed the the fluid is coming from what I believe to be the mainshaft. The only thing is, it is leaking between the sprocket and the inner primary. I was expecting to find the leak between the sprocket and the transmission.

Has anyone experienced this? How is it possible that the trans fluid made it all the way to the far side of the sprocket? Which seal or bearing needs to be replaced?

Thanks.

Old 09-04-2007 | 03:54 PM
Noble Steed
Advanced
Default RE: Trans Leak

I am having a similar problem. Any ideas, guys?

Old 09-06-2007 | 08:46 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

I am pretty sure that it is the mainshaft seal that is leaking. It is really hard to see, so I am going to tear the inner primary in order to inspect. The only problem is that removing the sprocket requires some specail tools that cost over $200 and then another $100 toll to remove and replace the mainshaft bearing, and then another $100 tool to replace the seal.

I am trying to find a shop that will just remove the sprocket, replace the seal and bearing, and then put the sprocket back on for me. Problem is that no one will do just the partial job. It will only take them about 20 minutes,but they all want the 5 hour job of removing and replacing all of the things that I can do myself. I hate to spend $500 to replace one bearing and one seal, then again, it is going to cost me $500 in tools and parts to do it myself.

Sometimes this HD thing can be a huge racket. It's funny how these things rarely happen to import bikes with only 13,000 miles on them.

Old 09-07-2007 | 08:41 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

Found an Indy that is willing to let me tear the floorboard, shifter, outer primary, clutch, chain, compensating sprocket, and inner primary off, and they will pull the sprocket, remove the seal, bearing and replace them. Said it should be an hour labor, which seems a bit liberal to me, however it is better than spending 400 or 500 on parts.

The indy shop is actually a sponser of this site, Eastern Performance in Maryland.

Old 09-08-2007 | 08:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member

Could it be leaking from the shift shaft seal?Just had mine replaced.

Old 09-08-2007 | 10:28 AM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

I did my best to convince myself that it was the shift shaft, as it is a much less intrusive job, however when I got out the mirror and flashlight it became evident that it was not.

Old 09-08-2007 | 10:47 AM
rocksandgiz
Road Captain

I've heard good things on this site about Eastern Performance . That sounds like the way to go. Mines leaking but I can't figure out from where. Its wet under the starter and around the oil fill tube. It drips down to the pan and runs off when sitting on the stand. Not a vey big leak, cleaned it off and won't leak while running just when driving. I'm still trying to figure it out. Only got 15K on it. Kinda Blows. Oh well its a Harley.

Old 09-08-2007 | 12:03 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rocksandgiz

I've heard good things on this site about Eastern Performance . That sounds like the way to go. Mines leaking but I can't figure out from where. Its wet under the starter and around the oil fill tube. It drips down to the pan and runs off when sitting on the stand. Not a vey big leak, cleaned it off and won't leak while running just when driving. I'm still trying to figure it out. Only got 15K on it. Kinda Blows. Oh well its a Harley.
You say that it is wet under the starter and only leaks while running? Are you sure that you have a trans leak? It sounds more like your primary fluid is leaking out where the starter shaft enters.

What kind of tranny fluid do you use? Can you tell the difference between your tranny fluid and the primary fluid?

Try filling your tranny with Redline shockproof. It is thick and bright red. If you have a trans leak, you will know it. If not, I would try ripping off your primary cover pull out the starter, and replace the seal.

Old 09-17-2007 | 11:39 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

Did you pull yours down yet Michael?

I developed a similar issue this weekend. The ironic thing is that during the first 6k'ish miles on my DD6, I used AMSoil SVG & never leaked a drop. Then, per Bakers recommendation, I swapped to Shockproof Heavy. 200 miles later, I have red spots on the floor. Mine is leaking from the same place ~ the shaft. I removed a couple ozs. of fluid just in case I may have had it too full (but I didn;t think I did) but it's still leaking.... damn it!

Old 09-17-2007 | 02:31 PM
Surfit
Road Captain

I have a 2001 Dyna Wide Glide with 20K on it and I started leaking on the primary side last week. I am pretty damn good when it comes to fixing my bike so I pulled it apart and replaced all the seals back to behind the sprocket, it still leaked so I did it again, still leaked so although I don't like to take it to someone else but I did @ $550.00 out the door. I got it back on Friday night and when I got home, 20 miles, it was leaking so I took it back. just got a call from the shop and they replaced all the seals again and it's still leaking!!! so he said he was going to do it one more time and if it still leaks he said I will need a new inner primary case!!! He said it was the main shaft that is leaking. I am supposed to go to Street Vibrations in Reno leaving this Wednsday and I won't get my bike back till tomorrow!!![sm=devilgrin.gif][sm=headbang.gif][sm=shootshoot.gif]

Quick Reply: Trans Leak