Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007 | 07:02 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer
Default RE: Trans Leak

Well, the new gear set is in. It shifts incredibly smooth, however third gear and up has quite a whine to it. A friend of mine has a Baker in his chopper and he took mine for a ride He told me that my six speed is actually quite compared to his. Any idea why these six speeds make so much noise?

Old 10-11-2007 | 12:04 PM
Surfit
Road Captain

Ok I got to Bishop on my way to Reno and the leak is back! I called the guy that tried to fix it three times and he was not too happy, nor I. So I have been back for a week and I brought it back yesterday and he tell's me it's gonna cost me another $256.00 bucks and I said I don't think I should pay anything because he didn't fix it. He asked me to meet him half way so I told him to forget it I will just do it myself. The only reason I brought to him in the first place was because I was going on a trip and was running out of time. He told me to leave my bike there and he will try again for free but if it still doesn't work it will cost me more next time. I don't know how this usually works because I usually do the work myself. If you pay to get something fixed and they don't fix it should you pay more? He said that sometimes they are just going to leak and you have to live with it, I told him I don't think so. My bike will not leak!

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:25 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

Most shops that I have dealt with have a very limited warranty on their work. Eastern Performance is 30 days or 500 miles, whichever comes first. It you surpass one of those, then you are typically on your own.

Old 10-11-2007 | 07:51 PM
flsts
Advanced

I thought I had a leak from the Primary drain plug. Put it on the lift and cleaned it all so I could find the source. The leak stopped. It would not leak when it was level. Figured it was the trans so I tore it down. It was the main seal. The oil was leaking and flowing along the shaft. It was going through the drive pulley along the splines and when it hit the seal on the back of the primary it would flow to the bottom. I needed a couple of big sockets and used a piece of PVC pipe to hold the sprockets. It's not marking its spot anymore.

Old 10-14-2007 | 09:24 AM
daven9113
Road Master

I believe I might have the leak in my main seal. What special tools did you use to get to this and replace the seal? Did you have Jim's sprocket lock wrench?

Old 10-21-2007 | 12:36 AM
flsts
Advanced

Sorry I didn't post sooner. There is so much activity on this site that sometimes I can't find my own posts.

The only special tool I used was the Jims socket to get the pulley bolt off. It is the really deep one with the piece that screws on the end of the shaft to stabilize it. I did need some large sockets besides that but I had them. I pulled the seal out with pliers and reinstalled it very carefully using a wood block. No problems and no more leaks.