Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Trans Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 02:41 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Trans Leak

Had a similar leak and thought it was the starter shaft seal or shifter shaft seal. I replaced inner primary with a chrome one from HD that had new bearings and seals in it from the factory. Still leaks. Now I'm guessing it must be a seal in the Transmission, so I'll be tearing that apart this winter. By the way, no expensive special tools are needed to remove the sprocket. The only item I need to buy was a 1 & 1/2 inch socket.

Old 09-17-2007 | 09:18 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PhilM

Did you pull yours down yet Michael?

I developed a similar issue this weekend. The ironic thing is that during the first 6k'ish miles on my DD6, I used AMSoil SVG & never leaked a drop. Then, per Bakers recommendation, I swapped to Shockproof Heavy. 200 miles later, I have red spots on the floor. Mine is leaking from the same place ~ the shaft. I removed a couple ozs. of fluid just in case I may have had it too full (but I didn;t think I did) but it's still leaking.... damn it!
No Phil,

I have not torn it down yet. Would have done it this weekend, but someone borrowed the trailer to go to Ocean City bike week. I am headed to Dover this weekend for the race, so I plan to tear it down on the 29th.

Hey rh8234, how is it that you locked the sprocket when removing and installing it. I am interested to know how I can get around buying these tools.

Old 09-18-2007 | 07:42 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member

Road King Kid

I had seen on several sites a description on how to make a jambar, but I took an even simpler approach. I had a busted hammer handle laying aroundand I jambed it between the chain and clutch gears to remove the clutch nut and then jambed it between the chain and compensator gear to remove the compensator nut.

By the way, depending on the year of your bike, the service manual instructions for re-torquing the compensator nut may be wrong. They issued a service bulletin revising the procedure. My '03 manual has the old (wrong) torque instructions.

Old 09-18-2007 | 08:22 AM
Surfit
Road Captain

I borrowed one from the Harley mechanic and measured it up then made one. I made a pdf drawing that I will post when I get a chance. I painted mine bright orange though cause the mechanic told me to make sure you remove it, it's black and he forgot one time buttoned up the bike fired it up and pow right thru the case. I don't know how you could forget to take it out though because you have to adjust the chain when your done. The hammer handle will work fine though.[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 09-18-2007 | 09:28 AM
Surfit
Road Captain

Dimensions are in inches the material is any kind of plastic you can get.

Old 09-18-2007 | 10:14 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: Road King Kid

ORIGINAL: PhilM
I am headed to Dover this weekend for the race, so I plan to tear it down on the 29th.
I'm jealous of that! They be coming to TX in 6wks & we'll be there.

Hopefully, I have this damn leak fixed by then!

Old 09-18-2007 | 10:53 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Surfit

Dimensions are in inches the material is any kind of plastic you can get.
Don't convert the JPEG (the damage is already done). Get another screenshot of that drawing and save it initially as a GIF. You'll maintain all the fine detail (which you've lost in the JPEG) and the image will be a smaller file size as well.

Old 09-18-2007 | 08:32 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Surfit

I borrowed one from the Harley mechanic and measured it up then made one. I made a pdf drawing that I will post when I get a chance. I painted mine bright orange though cause the mechanic told me to make sure you remove it, it's black and he forgot one time buttoned up the bike fired it up and pow right thru the case. I don't know how you could forget to take it out though because you have to adjust the chain when your done. The hammer handle will work fine though.[sm=biker2.gif]
Hey Guys,

Sorry if my question was confusing. I am not asking how to take off the clutch and compensator (Don't yell at me, but I just use an impact wrench). I am asking how I take off the sprocket (the pulley that the drive belt runs on). The manual shows that you need a locking tool and a special socket to get it off.

Old 09-21-2007 | 11:24 AM
PosseRider
Road Master

I have both the tools & still cant break the nut loose that holds the pulley. Gonna get a 3/4 or 1" air gun to try next. By the way the nut is left hand thread. This guy has the tools you need for job, pretty reasonable & fast shipping. bought mine there last winter. If ya lived near you could use mine. Cant remember where I got the locking tool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...3307QQtcZphoto

Old 09-25-2007 | 06:30 PM
Road King Kid
|
Tourer

Well,

I tore everything down to the pulley yesterday and trailered it to Eastern Perfomance today to have them replace all of the transmission seals. Got a call about two hours later to tell me that I had more problems than just a seal. Went down to look at it, grabbed ahold of the mainshaft, and was able to wiggle it back and forth. The case had scraping on it from the pulley which was more evidence that the shaft was moving.

They asked me if I wanted to rebuild the transmission or put a new 6 speed gear set in. The labor was about the same, so I had them go ahead and put in the new gear set. I was looking at the Baker gear set, butEastern highly reccomended that I buy the Accessories Unlimited gears.

The owner of the shop told me that he has been putting these in for a couple of years now and has only had one come back. He said that the one that did come back was all torn to hell because of super aggressive riding, it was out of warranty, and they still replaced it for him for free.

Once thegears were taken out, my problem that has been bothering me for two years (noises and leaks) finally became obvious. The bearings inside of the 5th gear were shot to hell, and not where they were suppossed to be. They told me that it was definately from doing hole shots and to knock it off. $1400 later and I have learned my lesson.

I will let you all know how it rides once I pick it up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Trans Leak