Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

3rd gear slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2022 | 03:55 PM
jhurles
|
Stage II
Default 3rd gear slipping

Hey everyone,
I just bought a 2013 heritage it has 59000 and in 3rd gear it thrust kind of like the clutch is pulled in and released and i can hear a clunk noise by the front of the primary cover.
Could this be a worn out compensator is compensator srings?

Old 07-28-2022 | 01:50 PM
darvinlowens03
2nd Gear

My bike is in the shop now because of 3rd gear slipping. It only happens in 3rd gear. If you are easy on the gas it will not slip, once you twist more throttle it slips and jerks. I have an extended warranty on my 2019 Electra Glide Standard with only 11,000 miles. They haven't given me the results yet, but was told it was a worn bearing or a bad dog ring that holds the shifting fork. All in all, your transmission has to be taken apart. Harley wanted 1200.00 to fix, after finding out I had the extended warranty, I was quoted 50.00. You would think Harley would have a recall on this issue because it seems this is a common problem. You can still ride your bike, just get in the habit of skippiing 3rd gear when shifting. The engines pull great from 2nd to 4th, I even heard of a guy racing without 3rd gear,.....and was winning

Last edited by darvinlowens03; 07-28-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2022 | 08:45 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Yep, Guys that like to bang 3rd gear and get a little chirp in the late HD 6 speeds will eventually be rebuilding the tranny.

Last edited by Max Headflow; 07-28-2022 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Yep
The following users liked this post:
TriGeezer (07-28-2022)
Old 07-29-2022 | 08:27 AM
darvinlowens03
2nd Gear

Max Headflow. hey man, I was easy on the gears cause I like my bike. I wasn't ever trying to spin out on take off because i wanted my tires to last as long as possible. So either there is an issue with the way 3rd gear is built as having some poor engineering or they are just putting out some transmissions that are not passing quality control. Either way, I'm not the first person to have this problem, and it seems to be an ongoing problem. Maybe there are some defective Harley transmissions out being produced. Hell I don't know, but 3rd gear production needs some attention. Actually I think there should be some type of recall for this issue, or it should be a free to have the transmission fixed.

Last edited by darvinlowens03; 07-29-2022 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2022 | 09:04 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

My buddy has his 11 Ultra is the shop for the same thing. Tranny is out but I haven’t been told the actual failure. I rode it and it feels like the dog ears have rounded off by not fully engaging. Just my opinion

Old 07-29-2022 | 10:02 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by darvinlowens03
Max Headflow. hey man, I was easy on the gears cause I like my bike. I wasn't ever trying to spin out on take off because i wanted my tires to last as long as possible. So either there is an issue with the way 3rd gear is built as having some poor engineering or they are just putting out some transmissions that are not passing quality control. Either way, I'm not the first person to have this problem, and it seems to be an ongoing problem. Maybe there are some defective Harley transmissions out being produced. Hell I don't know, but 3rd gear production needs some attention. Actually I think there should be some type of recall for this issue, or it should be a free to have the transmission fixed.
I thought that is what extended warranties are for.

FWIW, it's not a common issue and shifting gears lightly could round the dogs just as bad as banging the gears. Buddy had the same problem with 3rd but only after building a 114 CVO into a 128. Still I know others with M8s and TCs (same tranny gears) that have many miles without issues.. Myself included. 111000 on a 107 TC and 47000 on a 17 RK M8. 3rd gear is a weak point. So were early 6 speed TC comps, early 5 speed tc cam chain tensioners, real early TC cam bearings and more. What about M8 oil pumps?..

Old 07-29-2022 | 10:36 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by darvinlowens03
you should write a very sternly worded letter to HD corporate. It worked well for the early twin cam tensioner issue, and the 03 up crappy cranks that shifted or had .012 runout and don't forget all the motors that got trashed due do crappy lifters that HD voluntarily replaced because some guy complained once and then there were almost a decade of bikes with the bad compensators that harley cheerfully replaced ,oh and I almost forgot the abs debacle that almost got HD to have to do a recall. I guess you're getting the point...lots of very well known issues with some being very dangerous and I cannot one time that HD issued a recall. Thats why you have a warranty...its fixed and that's all you're going to get lol.

The following users liked this post:
darvinlowens03 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-29-2022 | 11:14 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

I wonder what kind of tranny fluid and maintenance those that had the issue use.

Old 07-29-2022 | 12:11 PM
darvinlowens03
2nd Gear

I was using Red Line gear oil at 9000 miles. I now have 11,000. Everything was done correctly with the tranny oil change except it might have been a bit early for the oil change. According to Mechanics that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by darvinlowens03; 07-29-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-08-2022 | 06:20 AM
landiscarrier
Cruiser

I’m getting some slipping in 3rd and 4th gear on my 13’ FLHTK (only when I get on it really hard) with 16k miles on it. I’m the 3rd owner. I changed all the fluids (and adjusted the clutch) on it when I purchased it earlier this year. My first thought is …slipping is caused by a worn out clutch? Seems like everyone else on here says it’s more than that?

curious how you make out with yours.

Quick Reply: 3rd gear slipping