Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

FNG screwed up my first HD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:04 PM
tuffpoodl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FNG screwed up my first HD!!!

This may be a little long but please bear with me! I bought a '73 Ironhead and it is a near basket case. It WAS rideable though! I changed the primary oil and put WAY too much oil in it (2QT's). On my 'checkout" ride the clutch slipped something awful so I thought the new oil had loosened something up and proceeded to adjust the clutch. I followed the procedures I found here for clutch adjustment but now I can't pull my clutch lever in AT ALL!! I actually broke the perch trying to pull it in! I don't know WHAT I did wrong except too much oil! I took the primary cover off and compared what I saw inside to the parts diagram in my book and everything is there. When I pulled the clutch lever with the cover off, the actuator moves and actually "ramps up" like it is designed to do but I can't push the clutch release plate ia at all! Not even with my hands! Am I about to replace all of the plates in my clutch? Have I missed something? Would appreciate any help as my local dealer won't even work on my bike!! (Too old they say) I love her though and want her to be right and see a new like in caring hands!