Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Need HELP A.S.A.P

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 05:35 PM
kraus143
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP A.S.A.P

I just purchased a 2007 Deuce. I was changing all the fluids over to synthetic when I ran into this problem with the transmission. I unscrewed the filler plug with dip stick, then unscrewed the drain plug on the bottom. It seemed as though very little trans fluid cam out from the drain plug. Once the oil stopped flowing I placed the plug back in and preceded to fill the transmission with the .95 liters of oil. However not enough drained out of the trans and the oil over-flowed from the filler cap. I then pulled the drain plug out again but no oil came out of it. This transmission is severly over filled and I am affraid to start it. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this? Some one pleas help me! The bike was warmed up when i was trying to change the oil.[/align]

Old 07-22-2007, 07:17 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Need HELP A.S.A.P

I use a big syringe for injecting marinade into food (roasts and such) to suck out extra fluid when I overfill (yeah, its happened a few times)... so, thats how you get the excess fluid out (I've seen some say they use a turkey baster, but those don't seem to hold fluid as well once they are full).

As far as no fluid coming out, I gotta ask the simple one first... Are you sure you are pulling the correct plug? Are you using a service manual for reference? There are a coupl plugs down there that I have never taken out cuz they aren't the drain plugs (not sure what they are)

Old 07-22-2007, 07:21 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the Duece, but the tourers have 2 drain plugs. Check you owners manual. I'm sure it will give the proper procedure.

Old 07-22-2007, 07:26 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thrillseeker is right. The transmission drain plug is between the shock absorbers. You have the wrong plug.[:@]

Old 07-22-2007, 07:34 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Trust me, when you drain the tranny lots of oil comes out. Look to see if the hole is not pluged by pushing a screwdriver up there. Hole should be the same size as the plug you took out. Let us know what you found up there as this is really odd.
Ron

Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
DCS
Advanced

Sounds like you pulled the wrong plug on the first try, I know I did the first time I wanted to drain the transmission fluid. The owners manual that comes with the 07 Softails shows a pic of where the drain plug is but is mis-leading, they do not tell you or show you that it is in the middle of the shocks, it is hidden and unless on a jack you will not see it, you will have to fill for it. When you do find it you will probably have to drain the entire thing, since it is hidden between the shocks and going by feel getting the plug back in B4 it all drains out or at least too much drains out is a challenge.

The first time I pulled the wrong plug, looks like the one they depict in the owner's manual because they do not depict the shocks. It was some sort of engine oil drain and only a good spits worth came out, could tell it was engine oil because I was using Syn in both engine and trans. and this little bit of oil that came outwas just a little dirty or darker color and when I was checking trans fluid it was clear.

Later,
Dan