Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020 | 05:16 PM
Whodeynate
|
Advanced
Default Clutch question

Good evening everyone!
I hope I'm in the right forum and also not adding to what has already been talked about 1000 times. Please let me know.

So, having said that, I have a 96 road king flhpi with 68,692 current miles. I have been having clutch issues recently, (false neutrals, very hard to find neutral, ECT) I have a clymer manual and have adjusted clutch and cable per specs and also by recommendations by other members to back off 1/8 and start from there. I felt I had everything dialed in right...perfect shifts and about every 8th stop or so it would take 1-3 trys to get neutral. No biggie I can live with that BUT the clutch would only disengage when the lever was almost all the way out and 3 to 4th gear would jerk like crazy as if you blipped the throttle real hard and loosly had the handle bars. So now I went to back the clutch off a little more and my dumbass had a derby cover bolt in my hand and dropped it into the primary. Tried like hell to get it out but no luck. Pulled cover and found 6 brass pop rivots lying in there. From my research it sounds like the clutch plate needs to be replaced. So now on to my question....am I on the right track? Also, does anyone know if a 99 twin cam will fit? My buddy has a brand new one. If not, what recommendations would y'all suggest? For the record, I change a 3 holes every 3-3500 miles and used hd dino oil, belray primary and belray trans.

Thank y'all for any input and constructive criticism!

​​

Old 04-07-2020 | 05:24 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

From the FSM....

Attached Thumbnails Clutch question-photo759.jpg  
Old 04-07-2020 | 05:27 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Could these be what you found? (Finger pointing to rivet.)

Hey, you wanna buy a FSM? I have 1 from my 1996 FLHRI.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch question-photo413.jpg  

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 04-07-2020 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2020 | 05:31 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Not sure where the rivets came from. But, you might want to take the clutch plates all out and examine them. If you find the source of the missing rivets, or clutch friction or plate wear replace the entire clutch. There is a great description of proper clutch adjustment in the clutch sub forum. Make sure you don’t overfill the primary, just enough to touch the bottom of the clutch basket. Throw away your Clymer manual and get the HD factory manual.

Old 04-07-2020 | 06:01 PM
Whodeynate
|
Advanced

Norty, not those but these. Yes, I would be interested in the fsm. Let me know what you want for it.
Tri, I'm gonna year it apart and see where it came from as you suggested. I actually have that sub saved and adjust per that as still had issues. Gotta be somewhere in the clutch assembly giving me the issues.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Old 04-07-2020 | 08:56 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Your clutch spring plate grenaded. The Barnett replacement kit eliminates it. It's a common problem with these clutches.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020 | 09:19 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whodeynate

Norty, not those but these. Yes, I would be interested in the fsm. Let me know what you want for it.
Tri, I'm gonna year it apart and see where it came from as you suggested. I actually have that sub saved and adjust per that as still had issues. Gotta be somewhere in the clutch assembly giving me the issues.

Thanks for the quick replies!
Originally Posted by Tommy C
Your clutch spring plate grenaded. The Barnett replacement kit eliminates it. It's a common problem with these clutches.
Part #11 in post 2 above. A known failure in Sportsters also.

Old 04-08-2020 | 04:50 PM
Whodeynate
|
Advanced

Took out the clutch plates and the pics speak for themselves I ordered a Barnett kit as I have read many recommend and are happy with. Thanks again everyone and I will update once I get it all back together again. Keep the rubber in the road y'all!

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (04-08-2020)
Old 04-09-2020 | 05:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't know for sure but I believe the 98 evo clutches the same as 99 - 06 twincams. You can check the online parts places to make sure... I'd bet it will drop right in. The damping ring failure is a common issue. The newer clutches use a simpler method that don't wear out.

Old 04-09-2020 | 06:05 PM
Whodeynate
|
Advanced

Max,
i called Harley to check to see if one 99 for a twin cam would work but it won't. My buddy has a brand new entire clutch assembly and trans off a 99 twin cam. What I researched and what hd said were both the same outcome, 90-97 are all the same. Bummer it couldn't work but what can ya do?!? Lol! I appreciate the reply and suggestion!

Quick Reply: Clutch question